Conditional access to sections

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I know about groups to restrict access to some sections to only some members. I am currently using it.

Previously, when using bbpress, I was able to also restrict some access based on ccaps (custom capabilities in s2Member). This allowed me, for example, to restrict access to those who had purchased a specific course. Those customers could be in any of the existing groups so relying on "groups" to limit access is not reliable. I know I could grant access manually, to the clients, one at a time, and I might have to do that. However, does anyone know of a possible module that would allow limiting access based on other conditions than groups, especially if it could "understand" s2Member's ccaps? I looked in the Marketplace but cannot find anything. Maybe it would be titled differently?

So, if I have 10 courses, or 10 cohorts, I would need to create 10 secondary groups?

And how would the members be added to those groups? I can only see a manual process here. Is that right? So if I have students registering for Course A, I would have to manually add them to Group A, and if they cancel the course, I have to manually remove them?

3 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

So, if I have 10 courses, or 10 cohorts, I would need to create 10 secondary groups?

And how would the members be added to those groups? I can only see a manual process here. Is that right? So if I have students registering for Course A, I would have to manually add them to Group A, and if they cancel the course, I have to manually remove them?

Yes, if each individual course requires an individual access management. 

How do individuals sign up now for courses? Have you considered using our Commerce solution? That would manage assignment for you. Once they purchase a course, you can have it automatically assign them the secondary member group. If these are subscription-based timelines, it can even remove the secondary member group if they don't renew.

12 minutes ago, Jim M said:

How do individuals sign up now for courses?

If I was starting from scratch, I surely would consider it, but I have built my whole site using s2Member for over 10 years now so all the content is restricted based on their ccaps (custom capabilities, which are like tags associated with their purchase). It is not like the forum is the only content that has to be "restricted" but the downloads, the videos, etc. and those are not hosted inside the forum.

53 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

If I was starting from scratch, I surely would consider it, but I have built my whole site using s2Member for over 10 years now so all the content is restricted based on their ccaps (custom capabilities, which are like tags associated with their purchase). It is not like the forum is the only content that has to be "restricted" but the downloads, the videos, etc. and those are not hosted inside the forum.

You would likely need to build a custom SSO which associates with this and assigns the secondary groups based on the tags then if you wanted to have this be done automatically. Otherwise, yes, you would need to do this manually because you are coordinating this outside the software.

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

Can this approach be used to protect individual THREADS ?

Permissions are at the forum level, not topic level in the core software. You would need a third party application to provide this functionality.

1 minute ago, Carole Asselin said:

How do I set a Secondary group?

The same way you set a primary group 🙂 . You can go to ACP -> Members -> Members -> edit the member in question you want to change -> click "Edit" on the user's Groups and select your secondary group(s) you want to add to the user.

A couple more questions so I can set this up correctly for my members.

I already have a group called MEMBERS, for all the members and one for LEVEL2, which can access everything PLUS one private section.

I created a group (ABC) and this will be a secondary group to my current members. But the primary group can be MEMBERS or LEVEL2.

I have created a "private" forum that will be only accessible to the ABC members regardless of their primary group. 

When I set up the permissions for this ABC group, do I need to show permission for all the other sub-forum or just putting the "private" forum will work since they have a separate primary group?

And to follow up, I am also seeing that the new forum section has only a checkbox under the category to "see the forum", but none for "Read topics", "Post new topics", "Reply to topics" so at this point, even my ADMINISTRATOR group can't do anything in that section of the forum.

I am sure I am missing something somewhere. 

• Solution
6 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

And to follow up, I am also seeing that the new forum section has only a checkbox under the category to "see the forum", but none for "Read topics", "Post new topics", "Reply to topics" so at this point, even my ADMINISTRATOR group can't do anything in that section of the forum.

I am sure I am missing something somewhere. 

Please ensure that the forum is of type "Discussion" and not category.

32 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

A couple more questions so I can set this up correctly for my members.

I already have a group called MEMBERS, for all the members and one for LEVEL2, which can access everything PLUS one private section.

I created a group (ABC) and this will be a secondary group to my current members. But the primary group can be MEMBERS or LEVEL2.

I have created a "private" forum that will be only accessible to the ABC members regardless of their primary group. 

When I set up the permissions for this ABC group, do I need to show permission for all the other sub-forum or just putting the "private" forum will work since they have a separate primary group?

Yes, the secondary group having just the forum you want ABC to see will work.