Allow Primary Menu items without a link

rhocar

As I understand it (very new to the software) if you create a custom Primary Menu item that will have a number of Secondery Menu items that you have to declare the type of the Primary Menu item as "External Link" and you are forced to enter a link to somewhere.   Then when a user accesses the site and clicks on the Primary Menu (an instinctive action if you don't realise you just need to hover over it) then they are sent to whatever link you have entered.   I would prefer it if the Primary Menu item ignored the click and simply continued to show the Secondary Menu items.

Hope that makes sense, or maybe I have missed something and that option is already available ?

Thanks

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you want, but a Primary Menu entry with sub-menu items needs to be of type "Drop-down Menu" and not "External Link", if you don't want that entry to be "clickable".

You only need a title for the Drop-down Menu entry, you don't need a link/URL.

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

Once you've defined that Drop-down Menu entry the menu manager looks like this:

Could contain: Page, Text

You then click the icon where the arrow points and on the next page you define the sub-menu items.

Or have I misunderstood what you wanted to accomplish?

I tried doing that but understandably, it converts the Primary Menu to a drop-down menu so the Secondary Menu Items are displayed as a drop down option rather than being displayed on the second line of the Blue Banner which is what I want.

This what I want:  (with the "Useful Sites" menu option not reacting to a click.

Could contain: File, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Webpage, Text

This what the type "drop-down" menu gives me:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Business Card, Paper

OK ?

Al

Edited by rhocar

12 hours ago, rhocar said:

that you have to declare the type of the Primary Menu item as "External Link"

That’s is not true. Just choose any of the other options and your problem will be solved. 

You can create a sub menu for any main menu entry, completely independent from the type of the main menu entry. It’s all done through drag-and-drop. That decides what is a main menu entry and what is a sub-menu entry. 

Could contain: Page, Text

2 hours ago, opentype said:

That’s is not true. Just choose any of the other options and your problem will be solved.

Can you give me an example ?   I had already tried that and all the other type options force me to use the type as a title.  I want a custom title.

2 hours ago, opentype said:

You can create a sub menu for any main menu entry, completely independent from the type of the main menu entry. It’s all done through drag-and-drop. That decides what is a main menu entry and what is a sub-menu entry.

Sorry, I would have to disagree with that.  If you drag and drop a secondary menu under a primary menu defined as a drag & drop type the primary menu will still display them as a drag and drop menu rather than displayong them as a secondary menu.

Perhaps I should restate my requirement. 

"I want to define a Primary Menu Item that has a custom title, will display Secondary Menu options on the second line of the banner, and is not required to respond to a mouse click".

Make more sense ?

Al

Yeah, you haven’t mentioned the title at all before. That’s a totally different question, and a tricky one. For some content types, you can choose an alternative title, for some you can’t. What is being displayed comes from a language string and you might be able to change the wording in the language settings. But there is no menu type for “don’t make this clickable at all”. That’s not how the IPS menu works. 

Yes, I was aware of that.  That is why I filed this in the 'Requests" forum rather than the "Support" forum.   It was just a suggestion for a future release.   Perhaps I shouldn't have asked if anyone had a solution under the current release. 

For now I have minimised the effect by linking the 'click' back to the Main Page and as the user probably still has his mouse on the Primary Menu item he sees the Secondary Menus still displayed on the second item.