Dear all,

It has been 3 days that my community is attacked by spam accounts.

These users are able to register, passing the spam verification, and to post more than 10 topics in minutes. It happens  2 or 3 times a day.

Am I the only one having this issue? Maybe there is a problem with the last version of the platform?

36 minutes ago, opentype said:

You should moderate the first posts from new members

I started doing it, but this is not an acceptable solution...

If there is a way for automatic spammers to register, this is something that has to be solved by the developers.

Am I wrong or missing something?

3 minutes ago, AlessandroTax said:

Am I wrong or missing something?

You are missing that this is impossible. There is no bullet-proof way to differentiate registrations that have the intention to spam your site from those which don’t have that intention. Captchas reduce the amount of bot registrations, but bots can also be trained to get through captchas eventually.

And spam is not necessarily made by bots. Tens of thousands of people in low-income countries have the sad job of doing nothing but manually registering on websites to post spam. So even if detecting “automatic spam” would be possible (which it is not), it wouldn’t mean that there would be no spam. 

You can use the anti-spam services (from IPS or third-parties) which use known spam IPs and email addresses, but nothing is stopping the spammers from using a new IP and new email address and then register successfully. That’s just the way it is.