ADA as it Applies to Websites

My Sharona

I have been meaning to post this thread for over a month.  @kmk's Voice message feature thread and  @Chris027's Listen To This Article thread that @Nathan Explosion is working on, has told me this needs to be done now.

Under attorney council, I was told that I should look into making the websites ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) compliant. The subject of which this thread is about is, an auditory reader.

As far as my understanding goes, the Americans With Disabilities Act requires anyone maintaining a website to make that site accessible to people with disabilities. Just like it requires a restaurant to be accessible, or a laundromat, or a bar, etc, etc. It is directed at the business’ availability to be accessed by it’s customers or patrons. The definition of a business establishment was expanded to include websites a few years ago. 

A research brief of the Digital Access and Title III of the ADA, by the ADA National Network is found here.

Caselaw was decided in the 9th Circuit.  Certiorari was denied by the Supreme Court. Robles vs. Domino’s Pizza (2019) — blind customer couldn’t order online. A summary of the case by the ADA Southeast Center is found here.

I would love to see an auditory reader incorporated into the software. Not just the forums but any and all applications thereof. I would like one specifically for my Pages application so visitors there have the option to listen to articles written. I think it would also put you guys on the cutting edge (not that your not there already).

TYIA for your consideration.

Edited by My Sharona