Cancel an upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi all

Ive stupidly started an upgrade on a site and it doesnt meet the requirements. How do i cancel the upgrade until i resolve the issues and keep the community running?

Whenever i go to the site it says an upgrade is in progress but i cant complete the upgrade due to a php dependancy

Thanks

Thankyou

However what is the point of the system check if when it fails it breaks you site?

Can or should it not fail on the check before it stops the site working

Id also add when did support stop being available to paying subscribers?

However thankyou Jim for responding can you change the system check to fail before it requires a restore please

or ideally list what files need restoring in this circumstance 

Anything outside of your uploads and datastore directory should be restored. To make it easier, you should just restore the entire home directory so that you don’t have to try and pick a backup apart. 

Personally I would just upgrade PHP rather than try to restore from backup. But that’s me. 🙂

However what is the point of the system check if when it fails it breaks you site?

Can or should it not fail on the check before it stops the site working

Sorry to hear this has been an issue for you. The reason this happens is because the files are already present at that point, as its those new files that its checking against. We do show in the release notes that the minimum PHP version has changed, and this is something you should always check before a major upgrade generally. What the requirement checker there is for is to tell you what you need to fix in order to move the upgrader forward, however it is very much in the upgrade process. The only way back at that point is to revert to backup, or fix the issue in question.

Id also add when did support stop being available to paying subscribers?

This is not the case. Im not sure where you got the impression you are not being supported there. The answer to your question would be to update your requirements or revert to the backup taken before you started the upgrade

On 7/6/2022 at 9:22 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not the case. Im not sure where you got the impression you are not being supported there. The answer to your question would be to update your requirements or revert to the backup taken before you started the upgrade

Apologies, stress of breaking my own setup when i knew it couldnt do 7.4.

Im always very happy with the support i get I now realise its here now rather than a ticket.

I restored the full directory from a backup taken the a few hours before i pressed the upgrade button and all is now ok, may have lost a couple of uploads but not the end of the world. 

As you said the db was fine

Thanks

On 7/6/2022 at 9:22 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry to hear this has been an issue for you. The reason this happens is because the files are already present at that point, as its those new files that its checking against. We do show in the release notes that the minimum PHP version has changed, and this is something you should always check before a major upgrade generally. What the requirement checker there is for is to tell you what you need to fix in order to move the upgrader forward, however it is very much in the upgrade process. The only way back at that point is to revert to backup, or fix the issue in question.

Yes agreed i was cross with myself mostly.

I will use the ips4 tool seperatly before upgrading in future

Thankyou

The forums are actually allowing much faster responses.  You get the help of not just IPS staff, but also the community overall.  In addition, you can learn from other issues as well.  The search function can make it much more likely to resolve your problem by starting support issues here on the forums. 😄  

I'm glad you were able to get squared away!