Resetting UserIDs

Scenario: Made a few test users which I deleted again, which results in missing UIDs and new members not having the "correct" one. Example:

1: Admin

2: deleted

3: deleted

4: Johnny

5: deleted

While this obviously won't matter to a lot of people, it does to me. 

I've been using another forum software in the past which didn't even have close to the amount of database tables IPS has, so it was pretty easy to just delete the user table and run the original SQL command to get the default table into the database again. After that I changed the few UIDs that were shared with other tables (like topics, posts, etc). IPS really has a lot of tables and I have no idea how widely spread UIDs are in the software, which results in me not wanting to go with the same approach cause I can easily mess this up very bad.

What would be the best approach to fix this issue? Reinstalling the software would obviously be the easiest solution, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

5 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

There is no way in which to change how that works. The key of a user in the database is really for programmatic use, rather than something that a front end user should ever be bothered with. We cannot advise on changing things directly in the database, and it is very very likely to cause you issues if you do so

Not sure if this is a stock reply or you just ignored literally everything I said?

2 minutes ago, Ghost Face said:

Not sure if this is a stock reply or you just ignored literally everything I said?

Im not sure what gives you that impression there. There is no way in which to fix this issue. You are trying to fix something that isn't something that is broken. If you deleted members, it will not change other peoples IDs to ensure every ID is populated as you are suggesting. You stated also that you changed some of the tables, but there are a lot of tables. If you do that, you will very likely break your site. If you feel I havent answered a specific item there, you would need to clarify

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im not sure what gives you that impression there. There is no way in which to fix this issue. You are trying to fix something that isn't something that is broken. If you deleted members, it will not change other peoples IDs to ensure every ID is populated as you are suggesting. You stated also that you changed some of the tables, but there are a lot of tables. If you do that, you will very likely break your site. If you feel I havent answered a specific item there, you would need to clarify

I've pretty much included in my first post that I'm aware of the risks. I'm looking for advice on what the best approach to do this would be, not for advice against it.

On a side note, I never stated that I changed any tables in the IPS database, so much to where I get the impression on you ignoring everything I said... 🤦‍♂️

There is no best approach to this. Its quite simply something you should never ever do. I can move your ticket to the development forum if you would like, but it's not something we can assist with in any way. Advice or otherwise. I cannot emphasise enough how much things are very very likely to break. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Face said:

I've pretty much included in my first post that I'm aware of the risks. I'm looking for advice on what the best approach to do this would be, not for advice against it.

On a side note, I never stated that I changed any tables in the IPS database, so much to where I get the impression on you ignoring everything I said... 🤦‍♂️

@Marc Stridgen is not ignoring you at all, he is giving you a very solid/useful advice, I would listen to him if I were you. 

I would advice you against doing that as well and give an advice if I may do so. Before you touch the database, make first a backup for just in case you will have something to revert back to.

P.s. In your first post you say you made a few test users which you deleted again, is this a freshly installed forum btw?

1 hour ago, Miss_B said:

@Marc Stridgen is not ignoring you at all, he is giving you a very solid/useful advice, I would listen to him if I were you. 

I think I made it pretty clear in my first post, that I'm aware of the risks. I'm already aware of the advice I've been given, I don't need to have it repeated by someone when I asked for another approach. 

1 hour ago, Miss_B said:

Before you touch the database, make first a backup for just in case you will have something to revert back to.

P.s. In your first post you say you made a few test users which you deleted again, is this a freshly installed forum btw?

This is a pretty new forum, just some guys and me setting it up. The only thing that could get lost are all the configurations we've made and the custom theme I'm working on. The theme has already been exported by me, so the only stuff that would get lost are the configs, no big deal if there's no other approach than just re-installing the software, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

I would definitely not do something like this in production or on a big community anyways.