URL Migration

Hi guys,

I recently migrated my community to another domain and I'm a bit unsure how to move forward with all the posts that contain references to my old domain (outside of the IPS suite). I do have redirect forwarding on so the links do forward correctly to my new domain, but obviously, I need to update them.

I've contacted support and they suggested maybe a manual SQL query, but this isn't really something they help with and I'm hoping that someone here has encountered some problem like this in the past and knows a potentially easier way. Won't I have to re-index all the posts as well once I've changed all this, via some kind of background task?

Unless you plan on letting your old domain expire, the only thing you really need to do is set up your old domain to permanently redirect to your new one, and ensuring the redirect keeps any URI/query string parameters in place.

If you'd rather have references to your old domain replaced completely, you would need to run an SQL query for this as well as have your search index rebuilt.

This is something that's outside of IPS' standard support scope as they told you. I'd be happy to do this for you as a one-time paid service if you'd like to PM me here. It should be no more than 2-3 billable hours of work to complete. If you prefer to do it yourself, I could find an example SQL query for you to follow, just bear in mind you just have to be extremely careful and always make backups when dealing with anything SQL related.

Thanks for your advice. Yeah I am permanently redirecting the domain and I intend at this point to keep it in perpetuity but obviously need the old domain to redirect properly so that users don't get the landing page extra redirect.

I wouldn't mind trying this myself if you could let me know an example query to follow. I'd be so grateful if you couldprovide that for me 🙂

13 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Can anyone help let me know what tables or queries I would need to run in order to update this manually via the database? Support aren't helping at all, just throwing up a block and just pointing me to this forum.

As mentioned above, this is something that is outside of IPS' standard support scope. Anyways, run this sql query to replace the urls of old domain.

UPDATE forums_posts SET post = REPLACE(post,'old_text','new_text');

Replace old_text and new_text accordingly.  And do not forget to make a backup of your database first before you run the (any) sql query. Hope it helps.