Configuring Datastore to write access corrupts test forum

FFOC

1 minute ago, FFOC said:

My test site now DOES, point to the live one for some reason,

Thought so, specifically the theme resources.

The conf_global doesn't control those items you see in the ACP, you have to modify them to match up to your installation.

1. Go to the Configurations tab - create a new storage method that matches to your TEST site
  2. Back to the Storage Settings and modify each entry to use the newly created storage method.
  3. Allow it to do its stuff.

I need to have a good look at how I am doing things then, everything is done as root for my server, as it is primarily used for this. I have some spare domains so I will try and use one of those. I will make an FTP account for each so they are separate too. My main site is still up and down now, as soon as I touch anything in the support section of ACP it goes garbled. This is the main reason I want to check I am doing things correctly using a test install first.

a few questions to get me started again:

1: as my main site has gone funny, is it worth uploading all of the backed up files again, and the database dump? It only had a handful of posts since saving these so nothing major.

2: Should I remove all files from my sub domain I was trying to set the test install on to prevent further conflict at the moment?

3: How do I change the testinstall domain on my license?

7 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Thought so, specifically the theme resources.

The conf_global doesn't control those items you see in the ACP, you have to modify them to match up to your installation.

1. Go to the Configurations tab - create a new storage method that matches to your TEST site
  2. Back to the Storage Settings and modify each entry to use the newly created storage method.
  3. Allow it to do its stuff.

These did match my sub domain initially, since my live site has gone down it now doesn't.

Just now, Nathan Explosion said:

Sorry, I'm out - can't help further based on just text, I'd need to be hands-on to assist and I've not got time to do that.

No problem, thank you for your help, I feel there is an underlying issue with my live site causing this. I have just removed all of my test install files. I have restored my live site ones and it is running, but as soon as I go into ACP, System, Support, 'something's not working' I get this:

image.png.cd6ddb8c0f01233138c11017058b4f2f.png

No sooner have I done this and got this screen, my site goes down. Recommended changes are to do with cURL, The database issues are 

UPDATE `ffoc_core_output_cache` SET `cache_expire`=0 WHERE `cache_expire` IS NULL;
ALTER TABLE `ffoc_core_output_cache` CHANGE COLUMN `cache_expire` `cache_expire` INT (10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0 COMMENT 'Unix timestamp of when the cache expires';

If I run these the results are:

image.png.6b72bd09414466657cd74efe81c2ee6e.png

And my site stays down until I restore the saved files again.

You are playing in dangerous territory. You should not be running your test site on the same environment as your production site, and they are now in some mixed up state. Every post in this thread you're introducing changes instead of taking things one step at a time.

I'd not touch anything at this point and open a support request focusing on restoring your live site into operation.

Once that's done, I'd investigate options you have on creating a separate, standalone test environment.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say, I raised a support ticket and got my main forum online.

I have since attempted to do this again but started afresh. I made a new user as a webmaster on my server just for this and used this for file transfers. I switched off my live site temporarily. I made a new database and uploaded the backup dump from the live. I uploaded the new conf_global file to the webspace first with all of the database connection information and new sub domain link, then copied all  of the other files and folders from the live backup, leaving out the original con_global file, and the datastore folder. I then made a new datastore folder.

Once this was completed I loaded the site which came up a little funny at first, like no theme etc but had the links, I found the ACP one and entered it, this page was the same but managed to get to the support section and select 'something isn't working correctly'. Once I had done this the page still looked like it was missing a theme. I refreshed both the test site, and the test ACP and it all came up fine, all icons the lot.

I am not sure what went wrong before but this seems ok so far 'touches a lot of wood'. I thought I would put this up so if anyone else hits the same problem then this may help those who are like me, new to all of this.

Many thanks. I am sure I will have more questions the further I delve into this but it is a start. Any pointers on learning material then please send them my way.