MYSQL warning when trying to migrate to different MYSQL serv

Hello all,

I am trying to move one of my IPS FORUM sites to another MYSQL server.

When I run the migration wizard in MYSQL WORKBENCH (latest version), I get the error below.

Please note that I am on MYSQL 8.x (very current versions on both servers).

MIGRATION WARNINGS, EXPAND TO VIEW

core_message_posts

Indicies

msg_post ->Truncated key column length for column from 0 to 255

Obviously I am asking this because I don't want to have any data loss while migrating.  I've migrated many MYSQL databases but have never seen this.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

I've not used the MySQL Migration Wizard before, but you probably would be better off using mysqldump to create a backup, copying that backup to your new server, and then importing that dump file via the mysql command on your new server. Details can be found here in the MySQL docs:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/backup-and-recovery.html

8 hours ago, Paul E. said:

I've not used the MySQL Migration Wizard before, but you probably would be better off using mysqldump to create a backup, copying that backup to your new server, and then importing that dump file via the mysql command on your new server. Details can be found here in the MySQL docs:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/backup-and-recovery.html

This ^  mysqldump and restore via SSH is the only way I would recommend!  (outside of a 20MB database, if it's that small phpmyadmin works fine) 

14 hours ago, Rhett said:

This ^  mysqldump and restore via SSH is the only way I would recommend!  (outside of a 20MB database, if it's that small phpmyadmin works fine) 

Just to clarify, this migration wizard is built into an official Oracle/MySQL product, called MySQL workbench which is a windows application.  

I have never had a problem using that application to move many databases in the past.

I will try the method above and report how it goes.

Understood, @Hockey Dad. Still wouldn't touch it for this with a 10 foot pole. There are too many points for failure. I don't know what the size of your database is, but if it's anything larger than empty, you'll get better performance creating a backup on the source MySQL server, moving that dump file to the destination MySQL server, and then restoring the database on the destination server.

It's also a good opportunity to ensure that your backup/restore process in the event of failure is sound. Make sure that you use the correct collation when creating the backup file, lest you find yourself with a lot of broken emojis when you restore. You want it to match the collation set for the database currently.