Gallery need retouch

kmk

On 10/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, kmk said:

I try to use Gallery album for a club, then I discover using a topic to upload images and videos, embed image or video link... Is more confortable than using Gallery🤔😏

I notice Xenforo have introduced media mirroring whereby images uploaded to threads can automatically be copied (mirrored) into a named gallery. Nice idea but still needs more work.

23 minutes ago, sobrenome said:

Yes, Gallery has big potential and needs a revisit to be as modern as the rest of IPS apps.

It's frustrating. As you say big potential, but several annoying issues and inconsistencies. I do wish Invision would put a temporary halt to new features and first get all the existing functionality looking and working, as best they can, the same way.

5 hours ago, christopher-w said:

I notice Xenforo have introduced media mirroring whereby images uploaded to threads can automatically be copied (mirrored) into a named gallery. Nice idea but still needs more work.

It's frustrating. As you say big potential, but several annoying issues and inconsistencies. I do wish Invision would put a temporary halt to new features and first get all the existing functionality looking and working, as best they can, the same way.

Gallery has been through many a revisions, some of them good. Then when IPB went back they remade it again and rip out the parts people like. The biggest thing is that for any gallery some type of main image, top of the page has to show pictures within.

But maybe this may good look into as it been a long while and other parts of IPB have been updated maybe Gallery will be on the list for 2021 to be upgrade. But this is feedback so let me try to list some feedback for them to look at to maybe get an sense of how to improve it.

- IPS has there own way of getting date and from the time I had a license I think they do listen but I think that can be improve more so. Maybe open a dedicated forums thread and allow members of the community to post there ideas and suggests for a time limited so other peers can see what is being posted and give feedback to what works for them. Make a simple template for users to follow and allow a mod/member/staff whatever monitor the thread and deleted comments that are not part of the template to keep it only to the suggests / ideas for the gallery. I even will commit to monitor the thread to delete comments in till it get closed.

- Bring the past back and install some of the older version of Gallery to see what members like from the past versions and see if they are worth taking a second look at? There nothing wrong with looking to the past and improve for the further. Whatever Gallery 3, is not what it is today and what it look and run link was totally different. Make a temp install for let say 1 week for users to look and test features out and get a sense of what they like in the past and move the gallery every week to the current install version. Even if doing that is to much with resources or whatever is the problem, why not just do an install and then take screen caps or video of the Gallery(s) and post them to YouTube to do the same thing just in video form.

- At the end of the day IPB has to make something for personal, company and small business. Maybe having more built in layouts this may assist in this front. Maybe Company/Person (C/P) A will want to have a clean simple layout, while C/P B wants to be a little more fun with scrolling images like was in the version of Gallery that I recall cycle through images on the front page. But my point is at least having say minimal three different layout features, simplistic layout, medium layout with more bells, and advance something that can be more used and play with by the users. Yes, I do know much of this can be done by add-ons but let look at the truth there not many out there and the current style is not really cutting the rug. I seen many other galley systems that are more feature rich but yet simple in design and still make it look nice.

I hope some of this help to the IPB staff reading it for feedback and readers of this thread. Was trying to be insightful as I can but yet still give constructive ideas to move forward on. Would even be possible to ask if IPB Staff plan to OR they already looking at Gallery to get redone or improve on? The current one even if some improve is done aka little things, the core of it is not well filling the click box of being really friendly to users.

• 1 month later...