Prevent Download from Database Article if Not Logged In

Bryon_S

Hi All,

New user here, I've dug through the forums and I can't find any way to do this.

We have a new community and were setting it up to use the Pages and Articles to create a How-To section.  This should be forward facing and we want anyone browsing the web to be able to see all the articles.  But the attachments to the articles should only be available to members (or specific groups).

I can't find a way to do this.  I'm sure I'm missing something.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Database Permissions.png

Joel R and opentype.

I tried adding a field to my database.  That almost does what I want, but not quite.  It allows me to hide the attachments via permissions, but not prevent download.

Ideally this would be something where the user can see them, but not download until they are logged in.  Also, the display format isn't nearly as nice when using the upload field.  It just gives a list as opposed to when in the article itself.  I'm sure there's some PHP or something that could fix that, but I just don't know how to do it.If I switch to using Downloads, I'd really like to have the look and feel much more like what I can get with Pages and Articles.  

I'd much prefer to use Pages and Database, I found that I can get to Home>Downloads>Categories to get a somewhat similar view but is there a way to make this the default page under Downloads? Also, Even though I have "View Files" checked off in Downloads for guests, they are still only able to see Categories and not the files in them.

So question #1 - is this possible? Show Files, but prevent download in Articles/Pages?

And Question #2 - Why can't I see files as a guest even though that permission is checked?

And Question #3 - Why am I seeing strange large numeric values in front of my files when I use this new field in Articles/Pages?

Thank you very much for your help.  

9 hours ago, Bryon Sol said:

Home>Downloads>Categories

If you don't have any categories in Downloads, then the Downloads index will be the list view.  

And Question #2 - Why can't I see files as a guest even though that permission is checked?

Please submit a support ticket.  

Also, check that your Module Permission allows guests (ACP > System > Applications, then click on the 'lock' icon for permissions for the entire module)

And Question #3 - Why am I seeing strange large numeric values in front of my files when I use this new field in Articles/Pages?

Do you have a screenshot that you can share?  

At this point, we've changed directions.  We decided that Forums actually has all the permissions we need, and although it's not quite as nice as Pages/Articles, it looks like it will accomplish everything we need.

I appreciate the feedback and support.