Questions and Answers - Vote Count Not Displaying

Go to solution Solved by bfarber,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

You can vote the question up and down, and you can vote answers within the questions up and down. In the listing there, the votes represent the questions being voted on. This is the small arrow next to the question title at the top of the page, not votes on individual answers within the question.

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

You can vote the question up and down, and you can vote answers within the questions up and down. In the listing there, the votes represent the questions being voted on. This is the small arrow next to the question title at the top of the page, not votes on individual answers within the question.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I'm afraid I don't understand. If you look at the screenshot I posted above, each post with a question shows that it has "0 Votes". But actually each did receive votes. Shouldn't this number reflect the amount of votes each question received?

If not, what does "0 Votes" represent? What must be done in order for this number to change? 

Thank you @bfarber for the reply. 

Update: I reread what you wrote, and I tried it myself on my forum, and I understand now, I can vote each question either +1 or -1. Is the purpose of this function for people to vote if they thought the question was a good one or not? If a question gets a lot of negative votes, wouldn't that discourage someone from asking any further questions or possibly encourage them to ask better ones next time? Is that this functions purpose? 

On the main page, as I posted the screenshot for above, it really does seem like that column of "0 Votes" should represent how man votes in total, positive or negative were submitted for each answer within that particular question. Just as another way to show activity within that question. Not everyone will leave a answer, but they might vote on a answer. I think showing activity is more important than seeing if people think the question asked was good or bad. Each person will make up their mind on that the second they read the question. 

Just my thoughts. Thanks again for explaining. I really do appreciate it.

Edited by SC36DC

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, SC36DC said:

Update: I reread what you wrote, and I tried it myself on my forum, and I understand now, I can vote each question either +1 or -1. Is the purpose of this function for people to vote if they thought the question was a good one or not? If a question gets a lot of negative votes, wouldn't that discourage someone from asking any further questions or possibly encourage them to ask better ones next time? Is that this functions purpose? 

On the main page, as I posted the screenshot for above, it really does seem like that column of "0 Votes" should represent how man votes in total, positive or negative were submitted for each answer within that particular question. Just as another way to show activity within that question. Not everyone will leave a answer, but they might vote on a answer. I think showing activity is more important than seeing if people think the question asked was good or bad. Each person will make up their mind on that the second they read the question.

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in and let you know my members are confused about this too. They expect to see the total votes on the question's *answers* (i.e. a gauge of overall engagement in that question), NOT the total votes on the question itself.

If there were a way to hide that "# votes" column, I would because it's not clear to the end user.

15 hours ago, Kelly Holmes said:

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in and let you know my members are confused about this too. They expect to see the total votes on the question's *answers* (i.e. a gauge of overall engagement in that question), NOT the total votes on the question itself.

If there were a way to hide that "# votes" column, I would because it's not clear to the end user.

There would be no way in which to do this without template modification