Several plugins required

christopher-w

Hey Folks,

I am launching a new site soon (working title The Gas Giant) and I've identified a number of areas that I need plugins for. The following summarises the base functionality.  I should imagine you'd need several years Invision experience, probably with existing, popular plugins available in the marketplace.

Terms, percentage of fee upfront and remainder on completion. I'd want you to focus full time on at least the Algolia plugin as I believe it needs 100% focus to get it done in a timely manner.

Please post general questions below in the first instance and I will explain each plugin in more detail as and when required. 

1/ An interface to the Algolia search engine (similar to Elastic). This would involve background pushing into the Algolia cloud service all records from an Invision installation: Posts, Comments, Reviews, Articles, Gallery, Members, Clubs and Clubs contents etc, + some third party plugins - Links, VideoBox, Classifieds etc. on create, edit, update and delete. Algolia is a cloud based service.  WRT to permissions, ideally I'd like to see read permissions honoured but this may be phase 2 requirement.

This is a backend, PHP only requirement. I will provide the JS client which will pull down results from Algolia.

The Algolia developed plugin for WP is both simple and brilliant, and I am hoping that the implementation for IPS would be same. I am advised that the IPS Elastic integration would be a good starting point - although need to check if we can use that and whether I need to purchase it. At this stage I wouldn't like to see this made available in the marketplace, but am open to persuasion.

2/ PM/Message restrictions. I'd like members to control who can send them PMs. Either by a simple boolean as in only allow people you follow to send you messages, or better still, implement a simple friends system (probably way too ambitious) and allow users to accept messages from everyone or just friends.

3/ Topic and Post Styling, dependant on members group. I purchased a plugin here last week which I thought would highlight topic authors' groups (admin = yellow, bold etc) in topic lists. Instead it highlights comments in topics, which is useful but to my mind misses the main advantage of such functionality - that being , at a glance being able for example, to see all Topics created by group x in a list of topics.

4/ Club categories. I've written an ISOTOPE based JS and CSS solution which works well, but need it transferred into a plugin. Currently it's a template mod with JS. Can't imagine it's more than a days work to take what I've done and make it sit properly in the Invision code base. Same for Iframely below.

5/ Content embed.  I've coded an Iframely  external site embed solution which sits in the client and works great. But it needs to move into a plugin. Again I can't see this taking long at all.

6/ Member notes. There's a member notes plugin available here. I bought it last week. It's cool  but  I want to see instance notes, not just member notes. For example, if a member comments in a forum I want to add a private note next to that comment,  in context, so that I can refer to my private thoughts on the comment, when I want. Currently the existing plugin just records notes against the user. 

7/ Link Usage. Discourse shows how many times  a link has been clicked. I'd like same and for Admins, an Ajax call to show who clicked on it.

8/ Bookmarks*. Xenforo has/had a brilliant 3rd party bookmark plugin which is both simple and powerful. You can bookmark and favourite almost everything, both from within content and from a dropdown located in the user’s account nav. Bookmarks would need to show author, summary,  thumbnail if images are in content etc.  I appreciate you can achieve same with default functionality, so this is largely a usability exercise, making it more obvious that something is bookmarked and that it's a favourite bookmark

*TBC.

Unless otherwise stated, all plugin functionality, would be available to all users - possibly optioned in Groups perms - for example, Can use Quick Search.

Many thanks

Chris

On 1/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, christopher-w said:

8/ Bookmarks*. Xenforo has/had a brilliant 3rd party bookmark plugin which is both simple and powerful. You can bookmark and favourite almost everything, both from within content and from a dropdown located in the user’s account nav. Bookmarks would need to show author, summary,  thumbnail if images are in content etc.  I appreciate you can achieve same with default functionality, so this is largely a usability exercise, making it more obvious that something is bookmarked and that it's a favourite bookmark

+1

There's at least one bookmarks application available in our marketplace, same for the member notes.

PM/Message restrictions.

Afaik that's also available via several plugins from the marketplace.

Depending on what exactly you mean with club categories, there's also an app in the MP for this:)

27 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

There's at least one bookmarks application available in our marketplace, same for the member notes.

Afaik that's also available via several plugins from the marketplace.

Depending on what exactly you mean with club categories, there's also an app in the MP for this:)

Thanks yes - I've purchased most of them 🙂 But you know me, it's got to be just so.

Tbh, I was only aware of 1 members' note plugin, so will take another look. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, christopher-w said:

1/ An interface to the Algolia search engine (similar to Elastic). This would involve background pushing into the Algolia cloud service all records from an Invision installation: Posts, Comments, Reviews, Articles, Gallery, Members, Clubs and Clubs contents etc, + some third party plugins - Links, VideoBox, Classifieds etc. on create, edit, update and delete. Algolia is a cloud based service.  WRT to permissions, ideally I'd like to see read permissions honoured but this may be phase 2 requirement.

This is a backend, PHP only requirement. I will provide the JS client which will pull down results from Algolia.

The Algolia developed plugin for WP is both simple and brilliant, and I am hoping that the implementation for IPS would be same. I am advised that the IPS Elastic integration would be a good starting point - although need to check if we can use that and whether I need to purchase it. At this stage I wouldn't like to see this made available in the marketplace, but am open to persuasion.

Bump. Very good rates available for this plugin.

Note: The Algolia side of this is very simple and just requires a few API calls from within Invision Community. All other Algolia coding and presentation will be handled by the client (me).

On 1/6/2020 at 7:16 AM, christopher-w said:

+1 here for an Algolia plugin.
I am willing to assist with paying for and help guide development, to be able to use something like this.

We're creating a large community site with articles and many types of content need the ability for users to be able to filter and manage the large result sets and find relevant results quickly.

Algolia has an incredibly fast and elegant API for data population and analytics.
And their front end InstantSearch is amazing for filtering and results.

We are VERY interested in this.

17 hours ago, mcsg said:

+1 here for an Algolia plugin.
I am willing to assist with paying for and help guide development, to be able to use something like this.

We're creating a large community site with articles and many types of content need the ability for users to be able to filter and manage the large result sets and find relevant results quickly.

Algolia has an incredibly fast and elegant API for data population and analytics.
And their front end InstantSearch is amazing for filtering and results.

We are VERY interested in this.

Cool and thanks for reaching out via PM. The challenge here as I see it is getting a dev with the experience to reliably capture cruds, custom fields, and union that with a permissions layer. The Algolia side is fairly simple. Push up and then pull down, driven by facets.  I'd be interested to hear your views on what you'd like to see. We can discuss the finer details via PM, but I thought it would be good to share the benefits of Algolia presentation layer here in the forums, given its ability to deliver what is effectively a front end UX API, not just a search page.

Re devs, I've had one very good experience with an app developer here.  He's very laid back and when I asked him, baulked at the thought of implementing this. But I think he'd be great for the job.

Archived