Limit numbers of messages, not conversations

zyx

The current system seems very limiting, as although you can restrict the number of conversations per user group, there is nothing to stop a conversation going on for a million messages in theory.

Surely it would make sense to be able to specify the total message capacity of a user's inbox, not just the conversation capacity. 

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Just want to bump this. Is there an add-on for it or something?

I don't understand the current system at all. Surely it defeats the whole point of 'limiting' the amount of saved private conversations if each conversation can be of endless length. There could be a single conversation with 10GB of files and a million messages. 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, Adriano Faria said:

You mean limit the number of replies à conversation can have?

Apologies for the wrong terminology. I don't mean limit the number of replies per specific conversation, I mean limit the total replies that can be stored within a user's inbox.

I would assume the reason for the current setting of 'max conversations allowed' per user-group is for:

a) saving storage space 

b) providing an incentive to upgrade your account to get more inbox space

The current system doesn't fully do either of these things. 

Whereas, if there were also a per-usergroup setting of 'total messages/replies' (not just total conversations allowed), I believe it would do both of those things much better.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:16 PM, theipsguy said:

I would assume the reason for the current setting of 'max conversations allowed' per user-group is for:

a) saving storage space 

b) providing an incentive to upgrade your account to get more inbox space

Actually, the current system is largely in place to prevent new users signing up and then sending messages to every one of your existing users (i.e. spam).

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

Actually, the current system is largely in place to prevent new users signing up and then sending messages to every one of your existing users (i.e. spam).

Oh, I would have thought the: "Conversations allowed to start per day" and "Conversations allowed to start per minute" settings would be for preventing spam.

What I'm talking about is "Conversation storage quota". If this is in place to prevent new users signing up and sending messages it's very inefficient, as a user can simply delete the conversations once they've sent them and send more, so it doesn't pose any real restriction on spam like the above two options do.

What I'm proposing is an option of "Message storage quota".

I appreciate it's not something every community needs, but for the 2 reasons mentioned above (and in particular for any forum selling upgraded memberships), I can't help feeling it would benefit a. lot of people I know it's a standard feature on some other community software like vbulletin etc.

Having a storage quota for private messages make a lot of sense, but currently that storage quota is based exclusively on number of conversations even though a conversation can be of an unlimited amount of messages. Surely a storage quota of messages is more logical. Let's say it's set at 100. This could be 100x 1 message conversations. Or it could be one conversation between two users with 100 messages.

Under the current system, even if I was ridiculously extreme and set the conversation storage quota to 1 per user, they could send 1,000,000 messages in that single conversation, attach 100GB of files (as there is no option to separate their attachment quota  based on public vs private contributions) etc.

Whilst I am using extreme figures, I have conversations on my site of well over 20,000 messages, so this is a very real problem. 

It really feels like something that could make a big impact to communities that need it, and would surely be relatively straightforward to implement.

16 hours ago, theipsguy said:

Oh, I would have thought the: "Conversations allowed to start per day" and "Conversations allowed to start per minute" settings would be for preventing spam.

What I'm talking about is "Conversation storage quota".

Oh yes, sorry. I misunderstood which setting you were referring to.

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, theipsguy said:

What I'm proposing is an option of "Message storage quota".

Tottaly agree. This option is a must.

In my community I have 107 000 PM.

In 3.x this option existed, I dont understand why IPS removed it.

Archived