Preview button

BankFodder

On 7/1/2019 at 2:12 PM, Charles said:

Yes, point #2 is valid but I guess I have never actually seen a case where what I typed was not WYSIWYG.

Although they could use the commands in the toolbar above, many members from my forum (mainly the oldies), still use BBcode when posting.

And then it's never WYSIWYG.

25 minutes ago, Eric BXL said:

Although they could use the commands in the toolbar above, many members from my forum (mainly the oldies), still use BBcode when posting.

And then it's never WYSIWYG.

BBcode is being phased out. So it would be best that you start to get your members to use the actual editors. It works with similar/same key presses for things like Word.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:03 AM, Morrigan said:

BBcode is being phased out. So it would be best that you start to get your members to use the actual editors. It works with similar/same key presses for things like Word.

I know, but tell that to 70 and 80 plussers ... they never listen! 🤣

One of my best forum friends is nearly 70. I think she is like 68 and she fully understands it. She prefers WYSIWYG because it’s simply easier. She can see it and doesn’t have to guess or make sure she doesn’t mess up code etc. 

There are ways to sell this to anyone you just have to know your audience and how to pitch to them the bonuses. Like they don’t have to remember code or forget to close out a code and it’s visually easy to see what they are posting and it’s formatting as well as it’s amazing copy paste that they can do from word that gives the the ability to not re-format things from other sites they might copy from.

Heck I’m in a community that loves BBCode and HTML use but I don’t allow it on my site and while it’s a little bit of an adjustment they come around pretty quickly to just how much easier it is to use.

Edit: This is just an observation but the sites that I’ve seen hold onto BBCode are the same types of sites that are afraid of educating their members on their software and it will push them away (this goes for any forum software out there). 

Edited by Morrigan