YouTube integration

Clover13

Is it possible to integrate IPS with YouTube for video attachments by members?  Seems less than ideal to store videos on my hosting server or on Amazon S3 when I could use a YouTube page to house all that storage for free and auto-embed the videos members upload and post in the forums.   Has anyone had any success in an automated solution for this?  Right now, I'm left with manually downloading, uploading to YouTube and deleting the local video if I want to use this approach.

I do realize this leaves the content in YouTube's control/possession, but in the case of high viewership there is monetization potential with YouTube (and you could always keep a local copy of the videos if retaining the content was of utmost importance).  Plus viewing via YouTube saves on hosting bandwidth.

2 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Just in case you're not aware, Invision Community already allows rich embeds with YouTube.  

If your users upload to services like YouTube or Vimeo, then can paste their link on it's own like to embed.  

Yes, I actually want to use that same rich embed.  The problem is my users don't all have YouTube accounts, and I'd even prefer if they could upload to my websites channel to consolidate the content targeted for the site which my members are willing to upload (directly as an attachment now).  YouTube used to allow emailing video attachments and it would automatically add it to my channel, but YouTube has since disabled that functionality.  However, the use case is similar.  In my ideal world, my members would be able to use the forum topic/reply editor to upload directly to my site's YouTube channel versus uploading as an attachment.  I'd imagine this would require a custom editor button with a YouTube account configuration and API hooks into YouTube to upload the videos to the configured account (or implicitly via an API key with YouTube).

I see.  

This would probably require a customized solution if some sort.  You can post a request in Customization.  

My cheaper solution and recommendation is to tell your members to get a free YouTube or Vimeo account, and to share their links once they've uploaded to those services.  Its very, very hard to do video right.  

Agree, doing video right is a challenge and space is a premium.  Unfortunately my members are not technically adept or interested in learning how to be, so trying to teach them how to upload to Vimeo or YouTube would be highly unlikely and painstaking.  Really it would just discourage many of them from even uploading, so this is about making it as simple as possible.  Plus the consolidation of content is good for the site IMO.  Good idea on the Customization request, I'll see what developers would recommend/offer.

Archived