Emoji in 4.4.1

iacas

:D :) Aren't being auto-replaced anymore despite the setting being turned on, plus where did all of my emoji (like :man_facepalming:) go?

This is true even here at IPS, so it does not appear to be an issue with my site.

image.png.8b01fc5e29281cf7061936f2ee0edfaf.png

image.png.029fa0ffd9a11d12815f76945bd84e12.png

Where are the rest of the emoji????

Dang, you run The Sand Trap?  Nice!

The bullet point you linked is exactly what came to mind.  What is set in your Customization >> Editor >> Emoji >> Standard Tab after the upgrade?  I haven't upgraded yet but I'd imagine the Twitter style is still available, does that will work as an immediate substitute?

Also check if the "Replace text with emoji?" option is ON

image.thumb.png.239eb81495b1409546a8814949f679a6.png

I've toggled them off and back on with no change in the behavior. Those are emoji, too, showing there - it's not an image. Native emoji should work. It's from the user's device - it shouldn't be EmojiOne or anything.

14 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Hmm definitely looking like a bug on auto-replace (since it exists here too).

I think it's simply not replacing :) and :D and =) and things like that… because they don't exist anymore. The emoji set is vastly, vastly shrunk/compromised.

14 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

You don't have an Emoticons section at the bottom of your Emoji popup when you scroll to the bottom?  Assuming that's where your custom :man_facepalming: would be.

I do, which we retain for backward compatibility when forums had to supply their own emoji, but :man_facepalming: was not a custom emoji. It's a standard emoji.

https://emojipedia.org/man-facepalming/

The emojis that are supported will vary depending upon your operating system/user agent FWIW. We did not remove emoji support (or support for any specific emojis) - we only removed support for using EmojiOne images to represent the emoji that were posted, due to licensing concerns.

In trying some other browsers and computers, the problem seems to be localized to one specific instance.

It just so happened that this browser, which worked fine on 4.3.6, behaved funny after upgrading to 4.4.1. I'll reboot and troubleshoot from there, but other browsers even on this computer are fine, and this same browser and OS on other computers is fine, so I think it'll work itself out.

Archived