Site Moderators: Clarification needed

Ocean West

what does this exactly mean?

I have a group as a moderator and the group permissions is Restricted below that it reads:

• You will specify the permissions available to this moderator below. The moderator will not automatically inherit any new moderator permissions added in the future.

So I added someone to the moderator group years ago and didn't allow them to manage blogs -  but then later flip on the switch for them to manage blogs according to this it sounds like they will never be able to manage blogs because they won't inherit future permissions, and only new people added to the group would?

8 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

The moderator will not automatically inherit any new moderator permissions added in the future.

Opinion, not fact:

The bold piece is most likely the most important here, if you put it in the context of "added by IPS in the future", which would then require you to toggle new items on. An example, based on that: Moderator group created when site is core/forums only. Blogs is "added in the future" and you've got new moderator permissions that are made available as a result....but they are not automatically inherited, so you would need to go in and toggle them on for the group to be provided with the permission.

If you want it confirmed exactly what it means, then chuck a ticket to support for verification.

I suspect your rational is correct - I think what caused confusion - apart from being under caffeinated - is the word "inherit"

I think a better phrase would be:

Any new moderator permissions added in the future or by third party apps; will be disabled by default. Enabling them will provide this moderator access to the permission.

Archived