Copying Posts To A Different Host

Bill Edwards

Dear All

We have our CiC set up which we are very happy with. We also have a standalone installation.

We would like to copy some posts from our main install to the standalone, in particular posts with photos.

I understand that you cannot export/import specific posts.

Can anyone suggest any way that doesn't involve having both setups open and laboriously copying/pasting each post?

Many thanks

Bill

There might be a better / smarter way, but create a copy of the database and then find something to prune it.  Either by date, time, author, or run a MySQL query for attachments.  That way you can import the remaining database with only the posts you want.  

Also, I'm curious as to why you're trying to move only posts with photos.  Are you concerned about storage space? 

34 minutes ago, Bill Edwards said:

Dear All

We have our CiC set up which we are very happy with. We also have a standalone installation.

We would like to copy some posts from our main install to the standalone, in particular posts with photos.

I understand that you cannot export/import specific posts.

Can anyone suggest any way that doesn't involve having both setups open and laboriously copying/pasting each post?

Many thanks

Bill

Are you trying to import the posts in a newly installed forum, or merging them into an existing forum?

16 hours ago, Joel R said:

There might be a better / smarter way, but create a copy of the database and then find something to prune it.  Either by date, time, author, or run a MySQL query for attachments.  That way you can import the remaining database with only the posts you want.  

Also, I'm curious as to why you're trying to move only posts with photos.  Are you concerned about storage space? 

We have a lot of topics posted that are photo heavy. We use Amazon storage for these photos and it works well. In an ideal world we would never delete a photo topic. At present our monthly storage bill and hosting costs are within our donations, but with our storage bill going up every month we will shortly be in a position where our income is less than our bills.

Ideally we would be looking to move our older photo topics to my Hostgator site which has unmetered storage. 

Really what I want is a facility to look at a forum page, select topics 1,4,6,7,8 & 11 and then export them, attachments and all. Then import them into the other host.

16 hours ago, Faqole said:

Are you trying to import the posts in a newly installed forum, or merging them into an existing forum?

Initially it would be a newly installed forum, but there after would be into the existing forum

16 hours ago, opentype said:

I guess in theory you could hire a developer to create an import and export plugin taking all your requirements into account (e.g. user/forum/… matching/mapping and things like that). But other than that, I don’t think there is an easy way. 

I don't think paying a developer for a custom one off is within our budget 😞

I still don’t get how these 2 “installations” relate to each other. Are you just talking about hosting attachments for one IPS site elsewhere or do you have two IPS installations? And if the latter is true, how are they related and why should posts be moved between them and how do you expect this to work functionally?

My forum is hosted by IPS - it's CiC with all attachments stored on Amazon.

Separately I have a Hostgator account and a separate, standalone, licenced copy of the software - in effect a blank forum.

As my Amazon storage bill is going up, soon to be at an unaffordable point, I thought that I could export selected topics with attachments and then import them into the Hostgator site thereby lowering my Amazon bill. 

I appreciate there is no way to export/import individual topics. I could create a new topic on the Hostgator forum, save all the attachments from my main forum and recreate the topics, but this would not be time effective.

I wondered if anyone had an suggestions.

Archived