Permissions on pages category

Ramsesx

Hi, I have a pages database with categories.

In the categories I want to show to a specific usergroup the topic titles but not the topic content if they click on the topic.

Seems it doesn't works this way on pages, I have checked every single permission available. Any idea? 

Right now members of that usergroup can see on the front page all categories and the first topics but an empty page if they go to the category.

Any help will be appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, opentype said:

You need to allow category access but disallow the visibility through the field’s permission. 

Those are my settings but it doesn't shows the topic titles.

I have done it global in the database permission and even if I try to give each category own permissions it doesn't work.

"See Database" yes

"View Records" no

And in fields permissions I have set the title field: "View Field Content" to yes.

35 minutes ago, opentype said:

Why? I would put that to yes and only hide the specific field from view as mentioned. 

You are right, this would be a better option. But it still doesn't work. If I set "View Records" to yes and set the permission of the field "content" to no, the usergroup is able to see the content.

5 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

Ok, all other fields don't show but I don't want the content field shown and there is no chance to move this to another field because it affects ~5000 records.

You don’t need to change the content. You can change which field is the content field at any time. 

Ah, I understand now. You mean I set any other field as the content field to surround the "protection". If I do so, does it have any bad affect to my records?  Or other asked, what purpose does it if a field is marked as "content", there must be any? I don't want to break things.

8 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

If I do so, does it have any bad affect to my records?  Or other asked, what purpose does it if a field is marked as "content", there must be any? I don't want to break things.

The position of the old “content content” will change. You probably want to set it as “below the content” field so it still looks okay. 

It will also will change the “preview text” shown in other templates, the promote feature or the site’s meta tags and social media sharing. 

Pretty sure you can just try it an undo it again. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

The position of the old “content content” will change. You probably want to set it as “below the content” field so it still looks okay. 

It will also will change the “preview text” shown in other templates, the promote feature or the site’s meta tags and social media sharing. 

Pretty sure you can just try it an undo it again. 

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation and your help. In a perfect world it should be possible to set permissions for the content field but I will look if it can be done the way you described. 

Archived