Backup for IPB Cloud Plan?

Orioni

Right now my community is on a cloud hosting plan. Is it normal that I don't see any ways to backup? I cannot find it in my Admin CP.

I am asking this because some members of my community voiced their valid question about the regularity of backup.

Right now I cannot answer them, nor can I find the answer myself.

That's an extra benefit of being a Cloud user - yo don't need to worry about day to day tasks like this. I have asked before about this and backups are automatically done each day. They're usually done in the early hours of the morning US east coast time and, unlike in 3.x when they slowed the system down, you won't even notice them happening.

If you need to revert to a backup, simply raise a ticket but be aware that you will lose any recent content. In the 5 years I've been an admin on my site, there has only been 1 time we've needed them and it was handled with the usual high standard of support that IPS provides.

If you affected by GDPR or similar, it is also worth noting that backups are retained for 30 days so if you delete an account, it will still be in the backups for a month before being permanently removed from the system.

Pro tip: Never ever assume someone else's backups are enough insurance. If you care about your content, you should do your best to have it backed up multiple ways in multiple locations. It seems like a hassle until that first time you lose everything and can't get it back.

Of course if your data isn't critical and you don't mind starting from scratch, then you can do what you want. However, I even backup stuff I don't care much about, because the truth is you just never know when priorities or the situation will change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:29 AM, GlenP said:

That's an extra benefit of being a Cloud user - yo don't need to worry about day to day tasks like this. I have asked before about this and backups are automatically done each day. They're usually done in the early hours of the morning US east coast time and, unlike in 3.x when they slowed the system down, you won't even notice them happening.

I'd still like to receive a copy on a regular basis. This can even be automated. I'll check with support by creating a non-urgent ticket.

Archived