Members can edit all records from custom Databases

DReffects2

I am quite stuck with something: All logged in Members can edit each and every entry in all Pages Custom Databases. Edits are made final without any moderation approval.

I've disabled the ability to edit and add content in the database permission set but the "edit" button still shows.

The usergroup of course cannot bypass moderation.

image.thumb.png.597c6d2687a53f23c1613e8e40bf4a49.png

As far as I understand this permission mask NO ONE should be able to edit or add records. Still the button to edit a record is available to each member.

Any tips? :)

Thanks

Edit:

Hm I found that if I disable the wiki-style mode the button disappears. Is this by design?

I was expecting that the wiki-style mode would allow users to edit, but then, like with wikipedia, a moderator has to approve an edit.

Also vice versa: If i disable the wiki-mode but enable the "edit records" option in the permission mask, members are still unable to edit a record.

Or am I completely lost here?

9 hours ago, DReffects2 said:

Hm I found that if I disable the wiki-style mode the button disappears. Is this by design?

Yes.

I was expecting that the wiki-style mode would allow users to edit, but then, like with wikipedia, a moderator has to approve an edit.

Yeah, this suggestion comes up every couple of months. There isn’t any workflow for approving Wiki content changes—or even just monitoring them. 

Also vice versa: If i disable the wiki-mode but enable the "edit records" option in the permission mask, members are still unable to edit a record.

It’s connected to the member group’s edit time restriction. If that has passed, the button disappears. 
But there is another per-database setting to turn that off. “Edit records indefinitely” or something like that. 

3 hours ago, opentype said:

Yes.

Ouch :(

I've read the very small description by now and it states that everyone can edit, but that's not really what I am looking for. Anyone could sign up in a heartbeat and edit (==destroy!) all content. The history option does not help much when you have to check 13k articles by hand.

3 hours ago, opentype said:

Yeah, this suggestion comes up every couple of months. There isn’t any workflow for approving Wiki content changes—or even just monitoring them. 

At least I am not alone^^ is there a roadmap for this?

But asking the real question here: What is the alternative? Locking is not as it prohibits comments and also does not provide a moderation queue for edits.

What I need is a way to have members edit existing content in certain databases. Not just their own content but all content. When I read "wiki-style" I think about real collaboration - but with a team member to approve edits.

Take a look at this episode database: https://www.scifinews.de/datenbanken/episodendatenbank.html/?show=categories

I'd like to have users submit new entries, the next user then expands the entry a few weeks later when the episode has aired and a full synopsis becomes available. Each step approved by an editor. Any way to do this? :)

Archived