Why is the IPS search so bad?

DSystem

In my community I have many complaints about this.

To get around the problem I installed the "CSEGoogle" plugin. This solves only part of the problem, I have many fub-forums closed and the Google search does not index them.

I've tried out other CMSs from forums and I have an impression that everyone is better.

Is there any configuration or option to improve IPS lookups?

I have wondered why its so bad myself. It's pretty good at finding exact matches but it's fuzzy find abilities are basically zero.

There have been other threads asking the same question not sure what the final answer was. I tried to search for the threads just now so I could recall what was said but of course I can't find them using the search. LOL

I have sort of just accepted that search barely works and moved on.  Shrug.. at least there are lots of other things about IPS that are really great. All in all search weaknesses are outweighed in my opinion by all the great things about IPS as no software is perfect anyway.

as a side note.. you know what is kinda weird? The member search in the ACP is REALLY good... why can't we just use that logic on the whole site?

43 minutes ago, superj707 said:

as a side note.. you know what is kinda weird? The member search in the ACP is REALLY good... why can't we just use that logic on the whole site?

The entire search feature in the AdminCP works excellent. That is weird...

I'm in the same boat with hunting for particular information but can't find it because of the poor performance of the software search. Typically I can Google it and find it that way. 

@superj707

I agree with you that many things in IPS are excellent and that no software is perfect. My dream is that in the future the IPS will be simply the best CMS for forums on the planet.

I soon imported the SMF forum (which is under development paralyzed for many years.) And in it the research worked much better.

I am not an expert on the subject, but I believe the problem lies in how indexing in the database is created.

In the SMF we have some options to configure the searches that we do not find in the IPS

busca_smf.thumb.png.fa475c78d1230d4d0d50a747347565f5.png

Archived