IPChat - News?

ZakRhyno

I was just looking over the forums and found a title that was like, "huh?" When I went to it and than saw the news I was a little shock that I counld't find any announcement in the news section, my feeds I get for news from IPB, are an email of any type that that IPS was discontinuing IP.Chat https://invisionpower.com/news/ I had to open a ticket to confirm it was going away and get a link to the site --> https://invisionpower.com/ips-chat/

I was planning on using it in an idea I was setting up for. But from what I gather from my ticket, it was posted in December and only in the chat itself and on this URL above. The whole of December 2016 was this post.

It the whole IPS has been getting better to improve it communication but some more improvements could work. Yes, stuff like this should be made News to customers whom are not around the forums all the time. I found this out while running a post about it from another user. Thanks for listening. 

41 minutes ago, CP_User said:

Lindy made a post back in November 2016

This was in the Client Lounge, if you don't have an active licence it will be hard to see this. Not the best place to post news don't you think as everybody don't visit the forums. As I visit a few times are it goes on a dry spell, it being posted in places where I do see it RSS feeds, news announcements and IPS News Block on the IPB Admin Control panel would have been a better way to get it out to people. A forums section only for paying members to see would be not the best idea to share something that is important to all members paying are not.

I saw the news in a number of places. Any more and it would have been spammy and, frankly, distasteful. For that you can go to the other companies.

If you're not paying close enough attention as a site owner then that's on you, not IPS. For example, if you care about Chat and you do not regularly check the primary URL for IPS Chat then you're simply not fulfilling your duty as a community owner.

31 minutes ago, ZakRhyno said:

This was in the Client Lounge, if you don't have an active licence it will be hard to see this. Not the best place to post news don't you think as everybody don't visit the forums. 

If you don't have an active license, you don't have access to Chat... What's the problem?  I think the Client Lounge is an apt place to put such a notice as your reaching your intended audience and no one else.  

I don't think it's fair to ask IPS to parade around everywhere announcing the retirement of a product to their detriment.  They reached their intended audience, those that currently had access to Chat, and created an avenue for clients to discuss alternatives.

• Management

A message was also visible in Chat itself since our release in early December. If you visited Chat on your site you would have seen a red box with a link to announcement. So anyone who actually used Chat would have seen this very visible message right on Chat for 5 - 6 months.

Back in November we removed the ability to purchase new service on Chat, removed references form our web site, and removed renewals for existing Chat clients as well.

So: you could not purchase chat for 6 months and if you actually used Chat you would see a notice right on Chat for at least 5 months warning you.

1 hour ago, Charles said:

A message was also visible in Chat itself since our release in early December. If you visited Chat on your site you would have seen a red box with a link to announcement. So anyone who actually used Chat would have seen this very visible message right on Chat for 5 - 6 months.

Back in November we removed the ability to purchase new service on Chat, removed references form our web site, and removed renewals for existing Chat clients as well.

So: you could not purchase chat for 6 months and if you actually used Chat you would see a notice right on Chat for at least 5 months warning you.

I was planing on using chat but had it install but not active. So if I was using the chat I would have seen it yes. As I already had everything install all I would have to do it turn it on and use it. Are if I was not using the free version yes that as well I would have seen something.

I won't be searching for Chat information are looking for it if I have it install already and no problems was happening yet, if I had problem I would check the help doc first, then I would have see it there. The main stream point I'm trying to bring to light is that the post that you made was behind an active forum licence area (or no up pin for notice to user) and not posted in a public location. 

1.thumb.JPG.59227b09a3cac55ef68c2f0955883350.JPG

IPS is a great application and I enjoy using it very much. It just when I find out a post that has something to do with a main application of the software and it not posted in a location one would clearly see may; be cause to look at the issue a little bit. Getting the word out to the customer base via the all ways would have been more helpfully. i.e. New/Blogs post, Twitter, Admin Control Notice Area, etc.

1 hour ago, Simon Woods said:

I saw the news in a number of places. Any more and it would have been spammy and, frankly, distasteful. For that you can go to the other companies.

If you're not paying close enough attention as a site owner then that's on you, not IPS. For example, if you care about Chat and you do not regularly check the primary URL for IPS Chat then you're simply not fulfilling your duty as a community owner.

It was currently deactivated and was not in use at the time. As the need for it was getting more I was had some plans to use it with a project. The main avenues for announcements are new I didn't see so that what I was getting at. Blogs/News/ Twitter etc. Yes I would agree about the owner part yes, but not like a hawk, I do have subs to RSS feeds. But a main announcement on EOL or ending this xyz should be main in the main ways they been doing for IPS 4.2, so all can see and read about it. Plus the Admin Control Panel for announcements is an more than ideal place to make sure owners know of what happeing. As for the primary URL, not needed when you already have it the software to run it. If one us interested to learn more about what is there and stuff than yes.

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

If you don't have an active license, you don't have access to Chat... What's the problem?  I think the Client Lounge is an apt place to put such a notice as your reaching your intended audience and no one else.  

I don't think it's fair to ask IPS to parade around everywhere announcing the retirement of a product to their detriment.  They reached their intended audience, those that currently had access to Chat, and created an avenue for clients to discuss alternatives.

I was speaking about in December when it lapse some. Putting it out for people to know about it all areas AKA main feeds would do it well than there intended audiences. As you can't say whom is and is not. I use it for a while and was going to use it again as for the first time it didn't work for what I needed, things do change. 

Archived