IP.Content "pages app" Database Permissions : Is This Doable

Don Ruth

I am trying to create an easy way for users of my IPB4 forum to submit an application (or "record") using ip.content aka "Pages". I have tried various permissions on the database but I am not sure if this is possible given my efforts or perhaps a bug with permissions.

Unchecking see database and checking view records for a database with no categories results in page error (normal)
Unchecking see database and checking view records for a database with 1+ categories results in "there are no categories to show" (normal)
With see database unchecked and checking view records a direct link to add a record (with add record perm checked) results in page error (normal)

With see database checked and view records unchecked for a database with no categories results page error. (normal)
With see database checked and view records unchecked a direct link to add a record (with add record perm checked) allows form to be filled/saved and upon clicking save get a page error. The record will submit and store but is not view-able unless group has view records perm. (what im looking for - abnormal)

With see database checked and view records unchecked for a database with 1+ categories results in still being able to see the categories and the title/sumbittor/submit date if there is a record inside the category but get page error when trying to get into category. (kinda normal)
With see database checked and view records unchecked using a direct link to add record (with add record perm checked)allows form to be filled/saved and upon clicking save get a page error. The record will submit and store but is not view-able unless group has view records perm. (what im looking for - abnormal)

**To be clear I am looking to be able to have a group submit records without seeing the records of others. Sort of like a "you only see the content that YOU have posted" thing. And the only way to do this is to directly link the database form as a kind of "work around" or the abnormal way which results in page error on submission which is not the desired effect.

SO I guess my question at this point is there a way I can get the database to point to a different page when a record is submitted so it doesn't show that there is a page error? Or is there a way I can set it so the logged in user can only see their submitted records (while other "staff" groups can see them all)? 

Any ideas or confirmation of "yes you're screwed" would be _nice_

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Don Ruth said:

Or is there a way I can set it so the logged in user can only see their submitted records (while other "staff" groups can see them all)?

If the records never get published and the staff groups have admin permission, then yes, that’s actually the default behavior. 

30 minutes ago, opentype said:

If the records never get published and the staff groups have admin permission, then yes, that’s actually the default behavior. 

I do want the records submitted by non-admins to be submitted and not viewed by other non-admins at the same time. The only settings that allow this are linking directly to the database form while database access and add records are checked while view records is not. However when doing this you will get an error page on submission because it normally take you to the new record and they are not allowed to view any records, so the non-admin will not know if they successfully submitted a record but an admin will know because they can obviously see it. (and it does submit the record)

I think I may be asking too much of the application.. any who thanks for the reply

26 minutes ago, Don Ruth said:

I do want the records submitted by non-admins to be submitted and not viewed by other non-admins at the same time.

Yeah, I get that. The way to achieve this is to set new records to be moderated. Then they are hidden from anyone, but the admins and the creator. 
With published records, what you want isn’t possible. 

52 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yeah, I get that. The way to achieve this is to set new records to be moderated. Then they are hidden from anyone, but the admins and the creator. 
With published records, what you want isn’t possible. 

Since I have it set to moderation, I have only set a couple of the "moderator/admins" to have full access to the database and then forum users have the ability to create new records. So that is working, but "moderators" not given permissions to the database (no checkmarks anywhere) are receiving emails about content needing their approval and then shows the information on the record in the email. Aside from removing the function of emailing about content needing approval is there a way to remove that undesired effect?

Archived