Everything's broken after IPS V4 Upgrade - please help!

DReffects2

So I've upgraded to 4.x. Now everything related to pages is broken.

• All previous media Manager files ("css_files" folder) are simply gone in the new media manager (still physically present on the server)
  • all custom templates like database listing, article listings etc. are gone
  • all content that used the parse ipcmedia tag is broken
  • It seems that i cannot create a block that shows  database categories.
  • on top of that each and every template for blocks / database listings change takes like 5 minutes to actually show up on the page. how am i supposed to develop a new template like that?

Does this happen with your installations too?

cheers

Sounds about right, you pretty much have to start again with Pages.

Re the database categories point, once you add a database to a page - and you have to do this before you can use it - you can then add the built in category block to the same page.

Re the speed issue there is a cache setting somewhere that is set to 300 seconds do you could change this. Sorry am travelling at the moment and can't look up the exact location.

From memory the ccs_files folder is only there as a legacy in 4. The new media manager starts again although the the ccs_files folder itself should be left intact.

4 minutes ago, Edward Shephard said:

Sounds about right, you pretty much have to start again with Pages.

Are you kindding me?! What kind of an upgrade is this? Would have been nice to know during the upgrade itself that your work is pretty much useless after the upgrade has finished.

Re the database categories point, once you add a database to a page - and you have to do this before you can use it - you can then add the built in category block to the same page.

Thanks for the tip! But how can I add a category listing on a different page? I have a front page that shows the latest articles with a block - i'd like to display all article categories in the sidebar. The Article database is embedded elswhere...

Re the speed issue there is a cache setting somewhere that is set to 300 seconds do you could change this. Sorry am travelling at the moment and can't look up the exact location.

Found it. You can go as low as 60 seconds. The decription is way off ("caching for header, footer and sidebar blocks"  - not "all blocks") and the setting does NOT show up when searching with the ACP search option for "cache". Is there a way to disable caching alltogether during development?

From memory the ccs_files folder is only there as a legacy in 4. The new media manager starts again although the the ccs_files folder itself should be left intact.

The files themselves are still there but all links to them with parse ipcmedia are broken / gone. since the original link was removed from the content during the upgrade there's no way to reconstruct this.

3 hours ago, DReffects2 said:

Are you kindding me?! What kind of an upgrade is this? Would have been nice to know during the upgrade itself that your work is pretty much useless after the upgrade has finished.

Thanks for the tip! But how can I add a category listing on a different page? I have a front page that shows the latest articles with a block - i'd like to display all article categories in the sidebar. The Article database is embedded elswhere...

Found it. You can go as low as 60 seconds. The decription is way off ("caching for header, footer and sidebar blocks"  - not "all blocks") and the setting does NOT show up when searching with the ACP search option for "cache". Is there a way to disable caching alltogether during development?

The files themselves are still there but all links to them with parse ipcmedia are broken / gone. since the original link was removed from the content during the upgrade there's no way to reconstruct this.

I know.  When I did my first test update I had fully expected the templates to be broken, but I didn't count on them being deleted entirely.

Others may correct me but I don't think there is a way to dynamically pull the Article categories except on the page that contains the database itself.  You could manually recreate it, or do a custom plugin, but I don't think there is an easy way.

I'm not aware of a way to disable the caching entirely.  I presume that some of the built-in blocks are set not to use it if required.

I've set the settings valule directly in the database to zero right now. it's slow but it works.

Besides that the template process is beyond frustrating. I am failing even at the most basic things for some reason.

It was previously possible to simply print out the records array with print_r($record) and get an array with all available variables. While this still works the result does not make any sense to me.

In the default listing template the title is being display with {$record->_title}.

While this is all nice and well, print_r($record) does not even list a field '_title' - so where is this coming from!?

Is there a list somewhere with all available functions, variables, fields etc? The preview version had a nifty sidebar with all sorts of variables - is that gone?

Currently I am looking for a way to:
- have the base-URL for the upload directory in a variable within the template to link images
- display the category name of a record
- link this category name to the category-page

I've never experienced such a complicated system - or am I totally not getting something here?!

On 7/11/2016 at 3:58 PM, DReffects2 said:

I've set the settings valule directly in the database to zero right now. it's slow but it works.

Besides that the template process is beyond frustrating. I am failing even at the most basic things for some reason.

It was previously possible to simply print out the records array with print_r($record) and get an array with all available variables. While this still works the result does not make any sense to me.

In the default listing template the title is being display with {$record->_title}.

While this is all nice and well, print_r($record) does not even list a field '_title' - so where is this coming from!?

A PHP magic method generates that property.

The preview version had a nifty sidebar with all sorts of variables - is that gone?

Unfortunately, yes.

Currently I am looking for a way to:
- have the base-URL for the upload directory in a variable within the template to link images

There is no longer just a single upload directory, please visit your ACP -> System -> Overview -> Files > Storage Settings to see what I mean. If you better explain where you have put the images/where they are being used, I could probably be more helpful.

- display the category name of a record
- link this category name to the category-page

<a href="{$record->container()->url()}">{$record->container()->_title}</a>

Archived