Database Relationship Field - only can select Article DB

DReffects2

8 hours ago, opentype said:

Is the missing database really in use, e.g. placed on a page? It wont work otherwise. 

Thanks, that was the cause. But I do not want to have the DB on a page. There's no reason for it to be on one since it is supposed to be a hidden library with additional information i'd like to embedd over and over with various other databases.

Is this one of the new "features" of version 4? Version 3.x had no issues here... :( Cross-Referencing is still missing too, am I right?

As soon as I place the database on a page it can be found by the search - I do not want that.

Just now, DReffects2 said:

There's no reason for it to be on one since it is supposed to be a hidden library with additional information i'd like to embedd over and over with various other databases.

Have that too, that’s why I could guess what is going on. ;-)

Just now, DReffects2 said:

As soon as I place the database on a page it can be found by the search - I do not want that.

My guess is: they point of the field is that you link to foreign entries. If there is no page yet, there is nowhere to link to and so it’s deactivated by default. 
In my case, I figured, it’s not worth complaining about that behaviour. I just created a page which no one can access. 

Just now, opentype said:

Have that too, that’s why I could guess what is going on. ;-)

My guess is: they point of the field is that you link to foreign entries. If there is no page yet, there is nowhere to link to and so it’s deactivated by default. 
In my case, I figured, it’s not worth complaining about that behaviour. I just created a page which no one can access. 

Hm that's not how I utilize the custom databases at all... at least in 3.x. I do have a sort of image library database where editors can assign certain images to articles and various other databases, using an attachment field that's being linked. Using that logic allows to change images across the entire site when a movie gets a new poster. Instead of editing all articles about that movie, all blog-reports about that movie from a second database etc. I simply switch out the attachment from my image database and all articles, blog entries, wiki-articles etc. about that movie get the new poster. That's also my way to keep it simple when changing the layout. Instead of the poster image being 100x300 we switch to 160x450px. So I update my image library database and I'm done.

The new relational field does not allow for a filtered view either and does not offer a drop down select option - so basically you need to know what items are in your image database and cannot prefilter by category. That makes things really complicated when your database grows to a couple of thousand records...

Does hiding the page still allow for members who cannot see the page to select items from the database?

8 minutes ago, DReffects2 said:

Hm that's not how I utilize the custom databases at all...

That might be, but this is how the feature is meant. And hidden repositories are not really what it is meant for. 

8 minutes ago, DReffects2 said:

Does hiding the page still allow for members who cannot see the page to select items from the database?

Sure. 

I can clearly remember one of my first IT lessons from more than a decade ago. The first rule of database design is to remove redundancy and bring everything into the third normal form. That' exactly how I utilize the custom databases...

Do you have any input on how to implement that idea with lots of topic based images in IPC? Version 3.x made that really easy - I cannot understand why they changed this so much and removed most of the features :(

Archived