A bunch of features that do not work as expected (Multiple Languages, Database-Fields, etc) in 4.1

DReffects2

Hey Guys,

so I am testing the 4.1 Beta with Pages. Couple of things I've noticed right away:

Multi Language Support

The new multi-language option is amazing. But it seems it is not available for databases you create within pages. Sure, the title of the database can be stored in more than just one language but there is no such option for the title and content fields of the databases (or any other fields one might add).

Is there a best practice on how to run a multi-language website with the current state? The multi-language support is kind of useless if your database fields do not support this as well ;-)

Relational Database field

Good to see that i's finally back. Unfortunately I am missing a lot of options:

• You cannot link to a database record from the same database
  • There's no option to cross-link the records
  • The input box to select an article is just a blank text field - a choice of dropdown, multi-choice and type-ahead would be really helpful
  • You cannot sub-filter by category when linking
  • No option to link the records or not available (Well, i guess one could do that with the custom formatting option...)

IP.Content in 3.x offered WAY more features compared to the current beta. I really am worried about backwards compatibility with 3.x here - I've got tons of crosslinked entries in databases. How is this being handled during the upgrade?

Default Database Records Image

• Does not show up in the listing template
  • Cannot be magnified by default

Guaranteed product support for 3.x?

What's the life cycle for the 3.x software series? Will you support 3.x as long as not all 3.x features have been implemented in 4.x?

Would be great to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!

I can answer the EOL part:

5 minutes ago, DReffects2 said:

Guaranteed product support for 3.x?

What's the life cycle for the 3.x software series? Will you support 3.x as long as not all 3.x features have been implemented in 4.x?

Would be great to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!

IP.Board 3.3.x and related apps will no longer receive any support or security updates after 1 January 2016.

IP.Board 3.4.x and related apps will no longer receive support or security updates after 1 April 2017.

Source here

So there's no immediate 'rush' to move if you are not ready yet or if you are awaiting specific features.

1 minute ago, AndyF said:

I can answer the EOL part:

IP.Board 3.4.x and related apps will no longer receive support or security updates after 1 April 2017.

That's excellent news! Do you guys plan on adding the missing features or are there certain things you can tell me right away that are never coming back?

Just now, DReffects2 said:

That's excellent news! Do you guys plan on adding the missing features or are there certain things you can tell me right away that are never coming back?

I'm not part of IPS now. :) Have not been for about a year or so, so I'm not sure what will be added or otherwise, sorry. I was just really saying that there's no emergency to run the upgrader if you're not ready that's all.

You may be interested however to read this if you've not already, as you can look at the 'coming soon' / 'next' version to see what's being added or done to it.

Just now, AndyF said:

I'm not part of IPS now. :) Have not been for about a year or so, so I'm not sure what will be added or otherwise, sorry. I was just really saying that there's no emergency to run the upgrader if you're not ready that's all.

You may be interested however to read this if you've not already, as you can look at the 'coming soon' / 'next' version to see what's being added or done to it.

Oh sorry for that ;) Didn't realize you are no longer part of the team. I've read through the roadmap for 4.10, the features I am asking about are not part of the 4.1 release.

I love 4.x for it's new responsive layout, the improvements made in nearly every aspect (multi language...) and am very eager to upgrade. Yet a bunch of missing features makes it impossible to do so at this moment.

Archived