Suggestion: Can edit window time and lock status please lock attachment? Thanks

chilihead

If a content item is locked for editing (or item is locked), do not allow that attachment to be removed. Please show an error in attachment management that the content item is locked and it cannot be removed.

When an item is locked nothing should be able to be edited or removed and that includes attachments.

Or at least a setting for admins, that would be great. Thank you.

Yeah, being able to remove content from the backend of something locked seems more like a loophole or bug, though I know it's not a bug. But I'd really love if that loophole was sealed up.

It also helps us maintain the integrity of posts. I've had members mass delete for space and then wonder why their posts have missing images. It can even serve as an upgrade incentive when they need room.

Of course if anyone disagrees, it could be an admin setting.

• 4 weeks later...

Would removing the My Attachments menu from their settings resolve this? And is that possible with a hook? I still have members removing attachments, somehow, not knowing it removes them from their content. I'm not sure what they are thinking but it does happen.

I'm not sure what My Attachments is for other than deleting so maybe I can just remove that, except for Admin.

There is a per group setting for this. Go to ACP > Members > Groups > (edit a group) > 'Content' tab > 'Can delete attachments' :)

See the note on it though, if they can remove the content (ie the post etc that contains the attachment) it will be removed with said post. You could stop that with editing time limitations though.

Turning that off will prevent a deletion option on the 'My Attachments' link as well IIRC.

I'd not try to remove it from the menu manually as a clever member can simply figure the URL and get at it that way.

As a random sidenote: There was a hook to do this on the 3x series (prevent attach delete) as before that it was a case of manual file edits to sort it, so tis kind of built into IPS4 now.

Brilliant! Thanks!

I just tested this and it works like I need. If deleting is off they can actually still delete by editing the post which is good as they should be able to remove a mistake upload, etc. But they cannot delete from My Attachments, which prevents bulk deletion as well, and if you prevent editing after a certain time, that also prevents them from removing from the post. But the window allows them enough time to delete if needed.

This is perfect thanks for letting me know!

IPS, great thinking with that setting.

Archived