Guests within an "off-line" IPB community (4.0.10.2)

gfcguy

Not sure what is going on here ... I'm currently developing my IPB community (4.0.10.2) and have the community set for off-line (i.e. only admin can access with password).

That being said, I just looked at the "online users" page and see four other "guests" and feel a little weirded out as there shouldn't be anyone else on the website with current settings.

They are not in a specific page (i.e. my user name indicates that I'm "Viewing Online Users List") and the IP address for all current 4 guests start of with the same 7 numbers (i.e. xxx.xx.xx.___)

Can anyone provide insights as to what might be going on and or what to do with this?  Much appreciated!

(PS - as I finish typing this, one of the 4 guests is no longer on the website)

Thanks Tarun ... it is an SEO crawler ...

I wonder if spiders are blocked if an IPB website is offline, yet still show up on the online user list as a guest if they go to the log-in page?

Thanks Arai ... I'll update to newest version in case this is also in play ... much appreciated all!

It's pretty likely that what you are seeing are failed login attempts while the board is closed. Until the user authenticates successfully, the "online users" page will report them as "Guest".  Vbulletin 4 has the identical behavior ... and disturbed me identically until I figured out what was going on. 

Archived