Fresh install of 4.0 and import 3.4 data in?

theBadBadRobot

Currently I have a 3.4 IPB installation. There are a lot of hooks, a lot of skins. Most are just left over and things we don't use anymore. I would like to start as fresh as possible with 4.0. (especially seeing how different the file structure is in 4.0) Is it possible to install a fresh installation of 4.0, and import my 3.4 database (just the data like forums, members, etc....not skins,hooks,etc.)?

Or is it recommended to just upgrade right from 3.4 by uploading the new files and going through the upgrader?

(It should be noted that we plan on doing this in dev first before making it live to everyone.)

That explains how to mirror your install, and then upgrade from that. The question at hand is if there is any way to do a fresh "clean" install and then simply import the important pieces from the database manually (posts, topics, members, messages, ect...). It doesn't seem like this is something that is going to be possible, based on reading on what all has changed and that list of what isn't compatible, but we were just hoping it would be.

Thanks!

I backed up then removed all the apps/hooks/languages/themes from my 3.4.7 ACP. Then I nuked my file system apart from:

• uploads
  • screenshots
  • downloads
  • public (although this can go as well later on after upgrading and checking that no images are referenced)

Then install over the top of that. That's the cleanest you are going to manage.

Archived