Upgrade from IP 3.4.6 to 4.0 RC on new domain

Matt Johnson

Hi there,

I'm a current customer of IP Board 3.4.6 and looking to move my forum to a new domain. It seems like this is a great opportunity to create a copy of my exisiting 3.4.6 forum on the old domain and move it to the new one with 4.0 and test it out before announcing the move. It is a private, paid community of a few hundred so literally I will send messaging to them when the change comes to the new domain as it is part of larger rebrand of the product the forum is part of.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? Should I copy the forum to the new domain and then upgrade it accordingly? 

Hi Matt,

that's what I have done: Copy the files to new domain and create and import the old database. Don't forget to update the config file and use another cookie-prefix in constants.php .

Go to admin, disable all Plugins and Hooks and update all settings regarding file storage.

(If you forget the last step and do it after upgrade it will move your old files to the new install path.)

Then ftp-upload IPS4 and go to upgrade interface.

All done.

​I followed these steps to move it to the new domain and make a copy and I am seeing a Driver Error screen when trying to login to the ACP.

Update: resolved! I accidentally updated the table prefix to the new database name as well when I should have left it since I imported the old database.

you just need to change the cookie prefix, if you use a test installation (thus using to installations at once) from a backup.

Otherwise just leave it to what IPS gives you.

If you see odd things happen when trying to login, I'll look up the according settings... Let us know.

So far so good. I am working on it now. I have made a copy of the 3.4.7 board on the new domain and it is working flawlessly. As this is a new domain I am moving the forum to it can be considered a test at the moment as I have my old board live in the old location. I may go through this again later to import the most recent posts and data as I don't want to shut down the old location yet as I want to play with 4.0 first. I just ran the ips4.php test file and all green. 

I've downloaded the RC6.0 files from my client center but not sure what to do next...do I just upload them to my forums folder and overwrite 3.4.7? I'm very close and don't want to mess it up now.

​I followed these steps to move it to the new domain and make a copy and I am seeing a Driver Error screen when trying to login to the ACP.

Update: resolved! I accidentally updated the table prefix to the new database name as well when I should have left it since I imported the old database.

​Glad to see it resolved... Now you can go crazy with the rest of us.

This might seem like a basic question, but I can't find an answer. After I download the IPS 4.0 RC files from my client area, what do I do to start the update process? (As in, where should I ftp them) Do I Just overwrite what is in the current folder for the test site I created that is running 3.4.7?

When you downloaded the last upgrade. Did you do download the full file from the Client Center or did you use the delta files?

upgrade-1.thumb.png.a9898944d4ab6d9c404d

If you downloaded the full file from the Client Center I suspect you overwritten other needed files. Whereas the delta files are created for only the files that need changing disregarding the rest.

I guess this brings up another question - where do I get just the files for the upgrade? I got the files from my client area.

2015-03-30_15-13-35.jpg

​When upgrading from 3.4.x to IP4 you will get them from the Client Center like shown in your screenshot.  Starting with IP4 you can download updates strait from the ACP (Delta Updates).

For the error mentioned above, you may have to submit a ticket to take a look at it.  I have had pretty good success with doing a fresh Beta and upgrade, but so far most my 3.4.x to RC upgrades have failed, in one way or another.

Ok, I'm having error noted above immediately after upgrading in following all the very helpful instructions here. Everything was checking out as it should and I received the screen the community was updated successfully and then when I go to access the upgraded install I get the error screen. Therefore, I believe my next step is to submit a ticket unless anyone else has ideas.

better not:

I did a fresh install of RC6 and at antother location an upgrade of 3.4.7 to rc6, then imported the forum contents and members to the fresh rc6 installation.

It's kind of tricky .... but would work.

Archived