Removing index.php from the URL

esquire

OK, so I'm working with a new installation of IPS4. Lots to really love and the admin panel is wonderfully redone. I was surprised not to see a "Gallery" and "Blogs" and "Downloads" sections and all stuck in "community" but I guess that's fine. Let's hope it won't get too cluttered. :) So I move to settings to check out "advanced configuration." In this day and age, is there anyone who expects to have URLs that include "index.php" in all the URLs? Personally I think this sets a poor first impression. Out of the box I would expect this to be hidden by default. So then the next question becomes, in IPS4, what is the recommended way to install all the modules so that the "index.php" is not included? I don't see any way to change this in the Advanced configuration.

This appears to be the answer. Perhaps leading the horse to water to get this done right away would be a good idea.

OK, so I'm working with a new installation of IPS4. Lots to really love and the admin panel is wonderfully redone. I'm surprised not to see a "Gallery" and "Blogs" and "Downloads" section but I'm guessing we'll get there. So I move to settings to check out "advanced configuration." In this day and age, is there anyone who expects to have URLs that include "index.php" in all the URLs? Personally I think this sets a poor first impression. Out of the box I would expect this to be hidden by default. So then the next question becomes, in IPS4, what is the recommended way to install all the modules so that the "index.php" is not included? I don't see any way to change this in the Advanced configuration.

​It's in search engine optimization ,enable friendly urls

​It's in search engine optimization ,enable friendly urls

​Yah. I edited my original post right after I posted and you must have replied within 60 seconds of the post. But why do such a nice job on a very easy install only to make what is a standard setup so difficult?

1. Not obvious at all.

2. Nobody ever expects index.php in the URLs.

3. The htaccess download file is named without the dot in front. All this does is create a needless hassle for setup. I would think that a default .htaccess file would be included or just as htaccess.txt which should be renamed and done. It can be modified as needed. 

Just a thought. Opinions will vary.

But why do such a nice job on a very easy install only to make what is a standard setup so difficult?

Not all server's configuration accept .htaccess file. So friendly URLs cannot be enabled by default because it will not work for everyone.

Not all server's configuration accept .htaccess file. So friendly URLs cannot be enabled by default because it will not work for everyone.

​Of course - what i'm getting at is that the process is what could be improved.

Archived