Remove error code for users

Flo44

When they have an issue that you can't duplicate, that error code tells YOU where to look for the problem.  

Sure your member doesn't care what it is, but you do when you are trying to help them.  And if you ever have to submit a ticket, the first thing IPS is going to ask you for is the error code the member is receiving.

I'd actually be very unhappy if the error codes were removed or hidden by default. It's not user unfriendly at all actually. Error codes are the best way to have the end-user help the developers rectify an issue without having to understand the technical system in the background.

It doesn't stand out in the least, there when you need it but not overbearing of the surrounding content.

When they have an issue that you can't duplicate, that error code tells YOU where to look for the problem.  

Sure your member doesn't care what it is, but you do when you are trying to help them.  And if you ever have to submit a ticket, the first thing IPS is going to ask you for is the error code the member is receiving.

​yes it is right. But actually, when we want to repport a bug we show what we did before the bug happens. I sent maybe 30 bug repport and never mentionned any error code.

In addition, i don't think members will face to a lot of bugs when ips 4 will be release (as admin you check everything before you release a forum : it could be relevant for admin if it is a real bug before the forum is released, but members should never face to any issue), and codes errors are showed when something normal happens (that is not a bug) as you can see in the first post : a guest that hasn't the permission to see a forum, it isn't a bug but just something a user can't do.

​yes it is right. But actually, when we want to repport a bug we show what we did before the bug happens. I sent maybe 30 bug repport and never mentionned any error code.

In addition, i don't think members will face to a lot of bugs when ips 4 will be release (as admin you check everything before you release a forum : it could be relevant for admin if it is a real bug before the forum is released, but members should never face to any issue), and codes errors are showed when something normal happens (that is not a bug) as you can see in the first post : a guest that hasn't the permission to see a forum, it isn't a bug but just something a user can't do.

​Issues still happen and will forever happen, even polished code like 3.4.7 issues happen, you cannot predict everything. I have spent plenty of time dealing with users who don't know anything about technology and getting the littlest bit of information out of them is incredibly hard. The best thing to do is say "What is the error code you got?" They supply it and you're on your way to fixing the problem or can easily reference IPS. 

Archived