Change needed for Convertor

GreenLinks

Once the data conversion has taken place, you can test the conversion by editing your conf_global.php file to alter the sql_prefix.

Got it! I change in conf_global.php sql_prefix to x_utf_ and all works fine.

Once you are happy that the conversion is correct, you are prompted to finish the conversion.

Ok. I`m happy and finish conversion.

This will rename your existing database tables with the prefix "orig_" and the UTF-8 tables will be renamed to your existing prefix.

Some of my tables are orig_ prefixed, some without any prefix. While my existing prefix is non - ''.

I change sql_prefix back to '' and forum stop work correct.

What do I do wrong? I just don`t get it!

Once the data conversion has taken place, you can test the conversion by editing your conf_global.php file to alter the sql_prefix.

Got it! I change in conf_global.php sql_prefix to x_utf_ and all works fine.

Once you are happy that the conversion is correct, you are prompted to finish the conversion.

Ok. I`m happy and finish conversion.

This will rename your existing database tables with the prefix "orig_" and the UTF-8 tables will be renamed to your existing prefix.

Some of my tables are orig_ prefixed, some without any prefix. While my existing prefix is non - ''.

I change sql_prefix back to '' and forum stop work correct.

What do I do wrong? I just don`t get it!

There's a step that isn't included in the readme (I'll file a bug for that).

Make sure you have added.. (make sure it is uppercase too)

$INFO['sql_charset'] = 'UTF8';

To your conf_global.php

The more i study this tool , the more i see that there was not actual much planning put on this tool.

The perfect senario that this should be designed and function should be as following :

CREATE DATABASE dbname CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Second step is running the conversion.

When conversion starts CLI script should ask us which DB to read from and then again ask us which DB to write to. Lets assume DB1 and DB2 as those defined tables.

Script should read table from DB 1 -> Converts to UTF8 -> Inserts into DB2 with utf8_general_ci

This way when the conversion is done , boards will not have to wait for the second step current Convertor is running ( Altering collations on tables )

This would be way safer method to follow and things would run twice faster then current method.

It is still not to late to correct this minor planning mistake.

I strongly suggest IPB team to make changes so even the convertor will be perfect and can be completed twice faster then it currently is.

This step IS included in readme and I add what you talk about. Result is the same. I don`t know if I ever be ready to IPS because of that. Anyway, that was a great beta-test for converter and I have so many backups of my databases)))

Insane!

This step IS included in readme and I add what you talk about. Result is the same. I don`t know if I ever be ready to IPS because of that. Anyway, that was a great beta-test for converter and I have so many backups of my databases)))

Insane!

Let them sort it out in a ticket, it's much quicker to see what's wrong when you have access!

Archived