Requiring re-validation on e-mail change in IPB4

Makoto

This thread made me realize a problem I've had with e-mail validation in IP.Board,

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/399035-i-am-fed-up-with-e-mail/

If you require members to re-validate when they update the e-mail on their account, they're moved into the "Validating" group as if they had just registered a new account again. This means all of these restrictions and limitations are enforced on the user again until they validate their e-mail.

I don't think this is a very good way of going about this.

Instead, I think it would be much better to simply require validation for the e-mail on the users account itself to update. Meaning, when they request to update their e-mail, they'll be given a notice that the e-mail on their account won't be changed until they complete the re-validation process. The pending validation request will remain displayed in the users UserCP until they finish the validation or cancel the request.

They aren't moved back into the validation group during this time period, and until they complete validation, their e-mail remains unchanged.

I see what you are saying, but I disagree the way it is now is pretty much fool proof with the validation e-mail going to the new e-mail address listed and if that e-mail is invalid we the owners are notified and can cancel the request.

The system putting them into validating group is no a biggie to me, I honestly think if they cannot access the site features then that will make them more responsive to validating their new e-mail.

I see what you are saying, but I disagree the way it is now is pretty much fool proof with the validation e-mail going to the new e-mail address

So would it with what I'm suggesting.

and if that e-mail is invalid we the owners are notified and can cancel the request.

We're actually not, the user is just stuck validating forever, and in my experience the user just becomes confused, frustrated, and leaves your site and doesn't use his or her account again.

I disagree. I like it the way it is now. I do not want any further notifications to be sent to the original address, for example.

E-mail notifications could still be suspended when an e-mail address change request is made.

So would it with what I'm suggesting.

Well maybe I misunderstood your first post, did you mean if someone wanted to change their e-mail that the notification for them to continue with the change and validate the e-mail address would go to the original e-mail address they had?

We're actually not, the user is just stuck validating forever, and in my experience the user just becomes confused, frustrated, and leaves your site and doesn't use his or her account again.

Well I have not had that experience yet thank goodness, but I see your point with that also especially if they do not know how to follow directions that is could be confusing and irritating.

I just like the fact if a member tries to change their e-mail address it sends the validation e-mail to the new e-mail address that way they cannot sneak in a invalid e-mail address and validate.

E-mail notifications could still be suspended when an e-mail address change request is made.

Again if they are set up for notifications and they give a bogus new e-mail just to stop the notifications of the forums or topics they are following because they are too lazy to figure out how to stop the notifications, them if I am understanding and correctly reading your post if the system sends the validation to the good and original e-mail and they follow validation, then we the owners will get the flagged e-mails from the invalid account.

I found this as well so I have a custom message displayed on the board index for validating users to tell them to check their inbox and junk folder and, failing that, to check their e-mail address details are correct. I've found this solves the problem in most cases.

I'm pretty sure eventually, if they're stuck in validating for a set amount of time, that the email reverts back. I wonder if IPS could confirm this.

I found this as well so I have a custom message displayed on the board index for validating users to tell them to check their inbox and junk folder and, failing that, to check their e-mail address details are correct. I've found this solves the problem in most cases.

I'm pretty sure eventually, if they're stuck in validating for a set amount of time, that the email reverts back. I wonder if IPS could confirm this.

Negative unless it drops off after or right at 200 days, I had a member stay in validation all spring and summer, we are talking well over 100 days then when he came back to the site during the fall he could not access his account, luckily he figured out he had changed his e-mail address and contacted me for a new one to be sent and validated

Archived