Not really about running a server, but I just switched from one provider to another for my internet and the ping times on sites such as speedtest and pingtest are double to quadruple that of the old service. A lot of times sites are hanging when I click links before they finally switch over. Is that likely going to continue or is there anything which would give any hope that it improves and is only behaving that way in the beginning? I know compared to the old days of dialup it's picky to be som annoyed by like 3 seconds of hanging before a site switches over, but Iit is mighty annoying after years of immediate page switches and may not be worth it to me to stay to just save a small amount of money.

Sounds like you may have some network issues with your new provider?

Have you tried contacting your ISP at all to inform them of the issues?

It may be something as simple as a bad router that needs replaced. Or it may be a network issue on their end. It's hard to just guess :tongue:

Well, they just came out today with a new modem/built in router and set it up. And when trying to figure this out, I found search results where people have had this type of issue and the support people pretty much do nothing about it, so I assume it would be wasted time trying to get them to do anything. The ping times for this are barely in the acceptable range. They're 40-50ms, whereas the other was 0-10ms. I still have both connected so can go back and forth between connections and see the differences.

I really don't see how settings could be involved, anyway, as this is a wired connection.

No that's the test on speedtest.net to the nearest server they look for. What's bad is when I click a lot of links to various pages on the internet it's taking several seconds before it switches to the new site, whereas with the other service it's nearly instant. I just disabled (I think) the firewall built into the modem and still the same issues. I don't think this is the type of thing they will fix I think it's the type of thing where it's just not as good of quality lines, IE there are problems with some lines somewhere between me and the destination servers, as what I am using now does not use cable, so it's a whole different type of lines.

Hmmm. Maybe. What's the ping to your website then, and how close was the nearest server on speedtest.net?

I've had speedtest mistakenly put one of my connections in the wrong state before actually :unsure: so I'd make sure that's not happening to you.

Also, you may want to play around with mtr and see if there's any bad packet loss across your ISP's nodes/hops. If you use Linux, you should be able to get this program from your repository. There seem to be some Windows variants of the software as well, but I haven't tested any of them.

Archived