Option for administrators to select when users change their usernames it changes their login names too.

IainRennie

Hi there,

I have noticed when premium members go to change their username, they can only change their display name, and it does not effect their login name.

Eg:

They sign up with bob.

They login with bob.

They change their username to jim.

They still have to login with bob.

Does anybody else feel this should be implemented too?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have noticed when premium members go to change their username, they can only change their display name, and it does not effect their login name.

Eg:

They sign up with bob.

They login with bob.

They change their username to jim.

They still have to login with bob.

Does anybody else feel this should be implemented too?

Thanks.

No. :)

I can see where you are coming from with this but I think it should stay as it is. I feel it would become confusing if the log in was the same as the username not just for myself as Admin but for members of the community. Identification name of the original user would be lost if log in and username were the same. It's always good to have a record.

• 5 weeks later...

If you don't allow display names doesn't that disable the change name option?

Yes. The option disappears from the UCP. :)

Attempting to manually cheat and use the direct url ie /index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=displayname will just show an appropriate error:

You do not have permission to change your display name.

This is a very bad idea. To allow users to change their username (i.e., their login username), is such a bad idea of so many levels that it defies reality. Changing your display name through your user control panel should NOT automatically change your username (login username). Why? Let's say, for instance, that you enable such a feature, if someone manages to guess your (admin account) login username, they could actually lock you out of your own account.

I prefer the current system. If a user has a desire to change their login username, then they can simply make a request to the admin (which is myself). I can tell you that I have never received a request from any member of my community to have their login username changed. They do, however, change their display name from time to time.

I actually have it listed in the policy on my forums that users who want to request a change to their login username can option to change it. However, I would like to see IPS return the ability for new registrations to choose a login username along with their display name. As it currently stands, you can only choose your login username which is listed by default as your display name.

Archived