A tip for the IPB Staff

EnzoC

Hello,

i would like to report this problem, I do translations into Italian of the forum and applications, but I always have the problem of the admin panel, parts are parts in Italian and in English as there are 2 files in the folder admin applications core (Forums and members) that I can not translate. I could do before installation, but then if you need to contact support, they would find the admin panel only in English and would not give support. So my problem is this, could not be implemented so that when I go to do the translation, I can translate everything and then, in the case of support, set the main language in English so that the IPB support, can do their work. I hope I have explained my problem well, I ask that maybe you could do as the main competitor, namely vbulletin (I do translations for that forum).

You can translate those apps and then set the account you provide us to use English instead, yes. We don't have any problems with that.

Bfarber excuse, but I was always told that you do not provide support if the admin panel is in a language other than English, but it is not true? Thanks for the reply bfarber and good day. :smile:

What Brandon was saying was that you can create a specific account for us to use that uses the English language, which would then show the Admin CP in English. Many clients do this now and it works quite well. :smile:

Sorry Ryan, but when I modify the XML files that I described above, you will never have a complete panel in the English language. You know that changing those files and folders after the installation or upgrade, the language will be changed, and also setting the English language will be read only in Italian. And is there some step that I do not know, after your explanation that you gave in the answer? Thanks to you too Ryan

You should not be modifying the XML files directly. You should be translating the language pack directly from the Admin CP on a new language.

If you need assistance setting that up then I would recommend submitting a ticket or posting in the support forums, but you should not be editing the XML files. :)

You should not be modifying the XML files directly. You should be translating the language pack directly from the Admin CP on a new language.

If you need assistance setting that up then I would recommend submitting a ticket or posting in the support forums, but you should not be editing the XML files. :smile:

Here's the problem, maybe I have not explained well and you have not understood what I meant. I start all over again, then, I ask the Staff of IPB, to have no translation into a different file for the admin panel, but in one file, and you have all the offers translation, since at this time, parts the translation of the admin panel are located in folders that I described in my first post and that once translated, you will have an admin panel only in Italian, but when they need your support, would you have the problem that we have now, partly in English and very Italian. I hope this time I have explained well. I am familiar with the settings of the admin panel for the language pack to translate, I know the procedure, since they are the first user to include all Italian translations IPB, so it is not necessary that it should send a ticket to support.

Are you referring to things like the modules or the setting titles?

I was referring to the titles. I'm not very good at PHP, but you could integrate the titles of the admin panel settings, file admin applications core xml admin_core_language_pack? You could do the translation and in the case of support for the Staff IPB set only the English language.

Translating settings titles and modules isn't really as straightforward in 3.x as it sounds. Translating the XML files does nothing, in and of itself. You can largely translate them in the ACP in various manners, but when you upgrade the original (English) XML files will be reimported, overwriting your translations.

If you required support and you had translated the setting titles, we would do our best to assist - but if we reached a point where we simply could not navigate your installation due to the language changes, our hands may be tied. Some clients have translated these things without issue, and we wouldn't simply automatically deny support based on you having translated these things in the ACP.

We have changes in store for 4.x to resolve these concerns.

Translating settings titles and modules isn't really as straightforward in 3.x as it sounds. Translating the XML files does nothing, in and of itself. You can largely translate them in the ACP in various manners, but when you upgrade the original (English) XML files will be reimported, overwriting your translations.

If you required support and you had translated the setting titles, we would do our best to assist - but if we reached a point where we simply could not navigate your installation due to the language changes, our hands may be tied. Some clients have translated these things without issue, and we wouldn't simply automatically deny support based on you having translated these things in the ACP.

We have changes in store for 4.x to resolve these concerns.

Thanks bfarber, here's the answer I was expecting. You say it's hard to make a gender change with version 3.xx, but it is possible that you could do with version 4, I got it right? If this were possible with version 4, it would be great, as many Italian customers of IPS are not very familiar with English. Good evening (if you're European) good morning (if you're from overseas)

As it happens, we posted an internationalization blog entry yesterday outlining the change I was referring to coming in 4.x.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

"Translatable everything" is what I was talking about. A displayed textual field will now allow you to specify the text in each language.

Wonderful news, it was what you expected from the Staff. Thanks :smile:

Archived