nginX + PHP-FPM stack on a Cpanel powered server

going to try microcaching on this (I am bored) but so far pretty happy. instead of moving to another panel that used nginx I can keep cpanel (easier for the few I host for) use nginx OR apache wherever needed.

not sure how well this would work on large sites/servers but it seems good for me.

the stock ip htaccess rewrite rules I ran through a converter and they are working right too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a bump were not running CpxStack + APC instead of unixy varnish on mazda626.net and results are pretty awesome

Performance seems to be really fantastic. Varnish infront of Nginx for guests would be awesome, althought having layers of proxies certainly gets a little more complicated.

I think I'm going to try to play with nginx cache first.

Hey Dmacleo,

How do you get ioncube to work on nginx? I was able to get it installed,

But I get this error

Site error: the file applications_addon/ips/nexus/sources/ads.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.3.so to be installed by the website operator. If you are the website operator please use the ionCube Loader Wizard to assist with installation.

Actually I was able to follow the directions found here,

http://manage.piserve.com/projects/45/wiki/Documentation

Adding ioncube loaders

Download ioncube loaders matching your OS and arch

wget http://downloads2.ioncube.com/loader_downloads/ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.tar.gz
tar -xvzf ioncube_loaders_lin_x86-64.tar.gz

I needed it installed for the PHP 5.4.11 version ;so
mv ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.4.so /opt/pifpm/php-5.4.11/lib/

and edit the php.ini file /opt/pifpm/php-5.4.11/lib/php.ini and add line below towards the end
zend_extension = /opt/pifpm/php-5.4.11/lib/ioncube_loader_lin_5.4.so

Restart the PHP-FPM daemon for the PHP version
/etc/init.d/php-fpm-5.4.11 restart

yeah thats so if you want other sites on apache it will work. I saw almost zero resource usage though with it running.

have to say I am almost ready to pay the fee to cpanel to go back to this, the ability to run sites on whatever I wanted was extremely useful to me.

I need to get off my butt and practice though with pure cmd line admin.

Archived