A Hybrid of Pinned Topics and "Announcements"

The Box Office Theory

I think it would be useful to have the ability for a pinned topic to take precedence over other pinned topics in the same forum so that the former remains at the top of the page at all times. For example, this has been called an "Announcement" on past forums I've seen and run. But it's different from the existing "Announcement" function currently in IPB that does not serve as a topic, nor can members reply to it.

Unfortunately, those seem to get overlooked when compared to pinned topics. But a board with a number of pinned topics might have one that is important enough to necessitate appearing at the top at all times (as is our case). I'd definitely recommend adding this function in the next upgrade if possible. Seems like an easy addition.

What's stopping you from making an announcement and linking to the pinned topic you're wanting members to read?

What happens when you want multiple topics to be pinned as announcements but you want one higher than the other? You're just creating the same problem you're trying to resolve but at a higher level.

Archived