Which VPS - What am I looking for? Suggested providers?

I'm little late but...

Hetzner is great , I had VPS with them for two years been 100% satisfied.

Atm I'm at RocketVPS (sub company of KnownHost) , its unmanaged vps's but great prices plus you get WHM/Cpanel for 8$ , plus you can get 20-30% discount (look at their topic on webhostingtalk). Its USA hosting , my site is mostly for EU peeps but still price is great for service they give.

eUKhost sadly don't have experience with them .

Well after a slightly false start where the tech doing the migration panicked that 6.4gb site backed up to 1.6gb, assumed it hadnt backed up fully, asked for root access, and didnt do much else (due to migrated over night) we then went back into online mode for the day before going through the following evening.

Move was a bit bumpy, my first move, and almost fully delegated to the techs, possibly slightly unfairly, and it really didnt like working via the numerical IP, but as soon as the nameservers updated and we moved back to the domain name 20hours later, everything appears fine just about in-time for the bulk of the following evenings traffic.

The support staff are clearly all Indian, regardless of if they claim to be in the UK or not, and some have mixed english ability, but generally answer all questions eventually if you keep asking. I work a lot with works Indian office so have some experience in getting them 'to do the needfull' . Sigh.

We also came very close to the 1mb limit, so upgraded to to the 1.5gb, although it appears to have jumped from 1mb to 2mb. Im saying nothing. We may invest in there 'burstable' add on to give a bit more headroom.

Daniel

Archived