After a month (or so)

Soniceffect

Hi Guys,

Thought I would give some feedback on the software and company since I have now been back using the software for just over a month. Dont want it to be all positives so will get some negs in there fore ya's too ;)

Negatives

• In pretty much any community software these days it is extremely easy to upload a photo. I personally think this is an annoyance that you cant do so from the page in quick reply rather than going to advanced. My reasoning is simple. There is no such thing as advanced versus quick anymore. Users want to be able to do things now and from where they are. I can understand however from the point of view of most attachment types, however I really feel you should be able to upload images easily.
  • User permissions still dont exist to be able to set a forum to viewing only your own posts. Personally I use this for limiting people to only see their own topics until x amount of posts in a husky rehome area, however I know many on vbulletin who use it for compaints, support and more. I really think this would be an excellent addition to your software

Positives

• As always the staff on here. I like that you can openly talk about other companies without being shut off, that you can have banter in places without being slammed about being off topic, and generally a nice feel. Keep that, it works.
  • Content - In comparison to the last time I was on IPB (about 3 years ago) IP.Content has come a long way. No longer is it overly confusing to use and still gives flexability. You are on to a real winner with that one guys
  • Blogs - I absolutly love your blogging on here. I love knowing what is going on, and people spending the time to tell customers what to expect.

To clarify, this point:

User permissions still dont exist to be able to set a forum to viewing only your own posts. Personally I use this for limiting people to only see their own topics until x amount of posts in a husky rehome area, however I know many on vbulletin who use it for compaints, support and more. I really think this would be an excellent addition to your software

Is possible on both a per Forum and per Group basis (Postable Settings tab for forums and Forum tab for groups). For per group, you can couple this with group promotions to force users to only see their own topics until they reach X posts where they are promoted to a group that can view other members topics.

I would agree on the 'more reply options' would like to see more of that on what is/was the quick reply box.

As Ryan said the other restrictions is possible and IPS use it here on the testing forum. Which means you can only see your posts. Of course admin/mods can still see all posts.

Ahhh now I have been struggling to do this and posted about it on the forums too LOL I dont see how I can set "x group" can only see their own topics in this forum, but "y group" can see them all in that same forum. I know I can set it in the forum properties for all to only see their own, or for all to see all topics, but not the mix

Also another positive, which is actually something which used to be done on vbulletin years ago. Posting when you do an update all the template edits. You have no idea just how damned helpful that is :)

Ahhh now I have been struggling to do this and posted about it on the forums too LOL I dont see how I can set "x group" can only see their own topics in this forum, but "y group" can see them all in that same forum. I know I can set it in the forum properties for all to only see their own, or for all to see all topics, but not the mix

Also another positive, which is actually something which used to be done on vbulletin years ago. Posting when you do an update all the template edits. You have no idea just how damned helpful that is :smile:

Ah, I misunderstood then. Basically you need a way to prevent Group X from viewing others topics in Forum Y. Gotcha. :)

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/380539-help-my-mother-win-a-blog-contest-please-vote <<< THIS is what I'm talkin about. First person to reply a member of staff basically sayin "yeah no problem" rather than "Oh go away this is not applicable to our snobby forum" ....... Love seeing simple "human" things on this forum rather than the same boring sh...........................stuff LOL

• In pretty much any community software these days it is extremely easy to upload a photo. I personally think this is an annoyance that you cant do so from the page in quick reply rather than going to advanced. My reasoning is simple. There is no such thing as advanced versus quick anymore. Users want to be able to do things now and from where they are. I can understand however from the point of view of most attachment types, however I really feel you should be able to upload images easily.

Improving the user experience when posting, particularly with regards to attachments, is on our todo list for 4.0.

Archived