Setting up IPB, NGiNX, MariaDB and PHP-FPM

With a server like yours in the OP, and that amount of traffic, you shouldn't really notice much difference between Apache and nginx as you shouldn't have any memory problems etc. with Apache. It is good that you have written a guide though for others who may be worried about setting it up. :smile:

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I've simply grown to love NGiNX :tongue:

The software in general I love and the community is also great and very helpful.

I've actually ended up moving to a newer server since writing this guide. I ended up having problems with my old box bottlenecking disk I/O wise.

I've moved to using a hardware RAID 5 setup for storage with a dedicated dual SSD in a software RAID 1 configuration as the primary disk, for the OS, site and database operations.

I've also reprogrammed IP.Downloads and attachments to use X-Accel, instead of relying on PHP itself to serve large file downloads.

However, memory wise? Yeah, I definitely have more RAM than I know what to do with right now :tongue:

But it allows me to safely give leniency to MySQL, Sphinx, and now PHP APC among other things!

My InnoDB buffer pool alone kills about 3GB of memory, haha.

Also, I'll try and add in a simple version like this regarding adding in CentOS support. But if you want to take advantage of things like SPDY and other "cutting edge" stuff, it'll involve compiling the latest development release yourself, which doesn't really involve any specific instructons for independent distros. I prefer to use Debians directory structuring (eg. keeping config files in /etc/nginx/conf.d), I don't remember how CentOS structures its install, but you'd be welcome to change the configuration however you want.

My other problems are resolved as per before. I have a new problem. Today I tried to attach a file to a post. Just a jpg picture. I get this error

Upload Skipped (Error404)

please help

here is more info.

It appears the request is going to default nginx. I do not know why this is when everything else is working fine. Infact uploads to Downloads modules work perfectly fine.

error log

2013/04/03 09:48:02 [error] 19541#0: *7372465 open() "/usr/share/nginx/html/50x.html" failed (2: No such file or directory), ................[snipped]

Google's SPDY will not make any improvement if you are not using https

Implementing that to a non https system actually does way worse things than it is.

PageSpeed module is also not needed on Nginx.

Of course. I'm well aware SPDY does not work if you're not using use HTTPS, I did not claim it did and I intend to make that clear to others.

I also stated that I intended to show how to set your forum up to use HTTPS globally for those who wished to take advantage. The example site I linked uses Google's SPDY without issue. I've also been running one of my live production forums using SPDY since it was nothing but an early patch for NGiNX.

As for PageSpeed not being "needed" on NGiNX, it doesn't matter what web server you're using. PageSpeed is "needed" no less on NGiNX than it is on Apache. The web server you're using really does not matter. NGiNX does not do anything that PageSpeed does, minus maybe one module for collapsing whitespace which is negligible when using GZIP anyhow.

Regardless of everything, the PageSpeed module for NGiNX is still too early in development to be included in a guide for production use, so I do not actually intend to cover that yet.

abshkd, you seem to be getting an internal server error. Do you have anything else in your error log? Are your permissions set up correctly? Can you use the basic uploader?

Feel free to PM me if you want me to take a look at it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived