Company Feedback: Suggestion to improve structure on this board

TSP

Can you explain why you say that?

These changes were made based on this very feedback topic in fact.

We haven't removed feedback areas we just moved them around.

It would be very helpful if you could explain why you would make such a negative statement.

Do you mind if I explain this further and merge it with my thoughts on this thread ()? My response to both things is essentially the same.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with what Jura said because I know for fact that IPS (or at least part of it - definitely at least one person) cares very much for feedback and the basis for all of their products relies heavily on feedback. However, I can understand where Jura's coming from. Basically (in my opinion) the more clicks it takes to find, or get to, something the more it feels like you are trying to hide that something we are looking for. Rough analogy here, but 4 years ago when I was applying to colleges I wanted to know how much the tuition for each school is. That information is incredibly complex to find because, I feel they don't want to show that information. It really does completely boil down to the number of clicks it takes to get somewhere. If you increase the number of clicks it takes to go somewhere, even by one, it gives the impression that you don't want that place to be visited often and that you're hiding it. This is why forums with lots of subboards don't do so well. Really if it wasn't for the fact that I know that IPS cares about feedback, I might have the same impression as Jura. I understand that it wasn't your intention, but I'm trying to explain to you how your intentions can be misinterpreted. Personally, I would not have made a Community Suite Feedback Category and instead put all your product feedback boards (renamed as IP.Board Feedback, IP.Gallery Feedback, etc.) on the same level as the Company Feedback board. That way the number of clicks stays the same. I understand that what you did makes logistical sense, but a step by step logistical process is always going to be inferior to one simple click from the board index (and everything is just a completely pain in the butt from the mobile skin now, but nobody cares about the mobile skin anymore except me).

In regards to the EULA, this I definitely feel like you are trying to hide, but logically I don't see how this can be true because it displays whenever you try to install IPB. I needed to find the EULA because I stumbled upon a site that uses IPB to distribute hacked copies of iOS apps and I wanted to confirm that this is a violation of the EULA. So, I set out to search for it. I go to invisionpower.com and my first thought is to look for the word "Legal" in the footer since that's how all companies do it. I didn't find the word "Legal" so my next thought was to look in the support column in the footer. Pretty much nothing in this column indicates that it has a copy of the agreement I made with IPS when I installed my software. So I went in order. I clicked on Privacy Policy first, and it wasn't there. Wasn't surprised. I clicked on Service Standards next. I honestly did not expect it to be there. To me the words "Service Standards" indicate to me that this page will contain the information on what I can expect to get from IPS for my money. However, in addition to that is a section titled "Software License" is the EULA. At the bottom of the page. Again, because I've come to know IPS for almost a year and a half I know this isn't your intention, but it really feels like you are trying to hide the EULA. The EULA is an agreement that I've made with IPS. It tells me what I can and cannot do with the software I published. I do not expect it to be under the section titled "Service Standards" the titles of which implies that the section is for explaining what I can expect from IPS for my business (if you can call $50/year business). I mean that's even what it says at the top of the page.

We publish our Standards of Service as an easy to read, plain-English frequently asked questions on the how, why, and wherefore of our customer service, and what you can expect from us when you purchase our products or services.

That statement doesn't incline me to think even once that maybe this page has information on the things I'm not allowed to do with IPS software.

I hope my explanation was clear. I'm not trying to be rude or condescending to you here so please don't warn me again. I'm just trying to explain to you how people can possibly misconstrue your good intentions like Jura did and like I did. The more time or thinking it takes to find something, the more it feels like you are trying to make it difficult to find. I know though that you would never intentionally try to do that, but you can't control how people react. Optimists always react positively, and conservatives hate any form of change.

What you could do. Move Company Feedback directly under IPS Client Services. Then do the same with Community Suite Feedback, so both of them moved up one level. No extra clicks and we still retain the other improvements to the structure.

It'll be more consistent with IPS Community Suite Apps Support forums aswell.

Rimi makes a good point.

Good improvement - but it does cause some confusion when you have TWO forums named the same under different categories.

post-149125-0-64902300-1354315369_thumb.

In my mind it would be better to have some kind of hierarchy and filters based on tags, prefix or some yet to be developed < view all sub forums consolidated > So as a user you can see all posts for IP.<APP> regardless of Feedback or Tech Support. based on your user preference or site defaults.

Or perhaps the IP.<APP> Forum has a tabbed interface where one tab is for each sub forum, and the above mentioned (consolidated view) - thus requiring fewer clicks to from the top down.

Taking this to the next level instead of having to have the user drive to the right forum to create a post a smart posting button would should ask "is this feedback or support related" and curate accordingly.

IP.Blog

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

>>Modification Support ( redirect link )

IP.Board

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Calendar

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Content

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Downloads

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Gallery

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Nexus

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

IP.Extras

>>Feedback

>>Tech Support

--

At the very least in the forum rules at the top each forum should have a direct link to its corresponding counterpart IP.Board Feedback >---< IP.Board Tech Support.

---

In the end the contents is all just DATA stored in a database and any data can be exposed and

displayed and interacted with in an infinite diverse presentations based on rules and intended audiences.

---

keep up the excellent work!

Good improvement - but it does cause some confusion when you have TWO forums named the same under different categories.

I agree, but not sure how they could best solve this. While your ideas sounds good, I think you'll just end up with the opposite situation. Where you'll see something posted in Feedback, but you have no idea what the feedback is about.

If they want to take steps to resolve this, I think the easiest solution would be to name them like IP.Board - Feedback etc. although, that wouldn't look really good in the subforum listings.

At the very least in the forum rules at the top each forum should have a direct link to its corresponding counterpart IP.Board Feedback >---< IP.Board Tech Support

Good idea.

Charles: Given any thought on moving both Company Feedback and Community Suite Feedback up one level? I think it would work better for everyone and I think Company Feedback will fit nicely in at that top level aswell. (Directly under IPS Client Services.)

Archived