IPS Client Area

Ocean West

when going to the IPS client area it seems like a click-a-thon this process need a bit of work And again the files downloaded are decompressed in a folder "board" when I wasn't downloading a 'board' application. So i have just downloaded the blog and the gallery and yet in my download folder it reads board-2 and board-3 because i already had a board folder in there. I have asked many times before but could the folder be named the same as the ZIP file such as app_blog_2_6_0 It would be nice to be able to click the items i want downloaded as a shopping cart add all the items and click once to download the lot. It would be fine if the interstitial pages had more useful information such as release date or change log etc.

[*]Click Downloads >> [*]IP.Board and Applications >> [*]<LIST OF ALL PURCHASED PRODUCTS> and version number but NO release dates (choose one) >> [*]PRODUCT & VERSION page with terse description & download button (NO RELEASE DATE - or change log or link back to blog post) [*]CLICK DOWNLOAD>> [*]Licence Terms agreement page ( no effective date of terms ) option to click to redirect to Service standards. [*]Click agree & Download [*]Files available for download ( file_name_version.zip & size in k ) [*]Download - Finally download..

when going to the IPS client area it seems like a click-a-thon this process need a bit of work

It's the download manager that IPS sells and is using the option to require someone to agree to a disclaimer before downloading. Being able to 'add to queue' wouldn't be a bad idea to add to IPD, then when someone is going to download, have it show a disclaimer with a list of the relevant packages associated with that disclaimer. On here, one disclaimer for all products. For other sites, could have a few pages of disclaimers to answer to, but once down, download page of all products they should queued (and agreed for). That'd be a request to put in the IPD feedback forum.

And again the files downloaded are decompressed in a folder "board" when I wasn't downloading a 'board' application. So i have just downloaded the blog and the gallery and yet in my download folder it reads board-2 and board-3 because i already had a board folder in there. I have asked many times before but could the folder be named the same as the ZIP file such as app_blog_2_6_0

You should be able to select for each package to use existing folders. As far as I know, it's done this way so that you can extract all the files and then go into one folder, make any changes and then upload everyone at one time, instead of having to go into multiple folders to do the uploads. To me it seems easier that way, though I don't do it that way (I have shell access so I upload the compressed files, then extract and juggle directly on the server instead of uploading files one-at-a-time).

It would be fine if the interstitial pages had more useful information such as release date or change log etc.

A lot of people have been asking for this for many months. Helps to know if you have the latest copy of the newest version of a file. I could download the latest version of IP.Board on the day it's released and then a day before the next release and end up with two files that are different. So seeing the 'last updated' information is something a lot of people would appreciate.

Instead of extracting the contents to the folder you're in, extract the contents to a folder that has the same name as the download... That's a default option with Win Rar... 'Extract to /app_blog_2_6_0' Instead of 'Extract files Here'

Exactly what you're asking for, one problem solved!

I could see your complaint if it was a self extracting archive... But there is more than one way to unzip an archive... If your software doesn't allow you to extract to a folder that is named the same as the archive, you have some gimp software.

I do agree with you on actually getting the software off the IPS site... It's a hassle to navigate through the click-fest to get to the download... Then if you're using IE, the link to download the file hides off the right side of the page and you have to scroll over to find it... PITA, if you ask me...

Downloads of compressed files don't work that way on the Mac after download they auto extract - and the original ZIP file is deleted leaving me only board-# (depending on what is in my downloads folder )

Well that's your problem. Get rid of the Mac and you'll be fine. :-P

I find it hard to believe there are no other programs to handle archives for Mac.

it wouldn't be as bad if the folder was properly named

board = board
gallery = gallery
content = content
blog = blog

etc. but why does everything have to = board after all isn't IPS mission to not make board the 'core'

I too would love an admin option that says "oh btw here are new updates" click button and they are downloaded in to a directory on the server and decompressed - then another button that says "update" it then does the process of replacing the files and then starting the actual upgrade process.

Downloads of compressed files don't work that way on the Mac after download they auto extract - and the original ZIP file is deleted leaving me only board-# (depending on what is in my downloads folder )

It doesn't give you an option to save the file instead of opening it? I find it hard to believe that it would be that unfriendly while Mac loyalists are bragging about how great a Mac is.

etc. but why does everything have to = board after all isn't IPS mission to not make board the 'core'

They're moving in that direction but it's not 'here' yet.

I rather like the idea of everything being placed into the same folder, so that I only have to upload the contents of one folder instead of multiple folders.

Safari->Preferences->General
Uncheck "Open Safe Files After Downloading"

Mac bashing. How cool and original.

Archived