Media embedding bug

Ryan Williams

Hi guys,

Been demoing ip.Board in preparation for switching in the next few months, and have noticed that (at least in Chrome) when videos are embedded via the MEDIA tag you end up with the video overlapping the modal box overlays that appear, such as editing the next post. This isn't much of a practical issue as JavaScript is used to move the viewport to the editing area, but if someone scrolls up while using the overlay — for example to reference something in the previous post — you end up with the video overlapping everything.

I just did this totally by accident while generally exploring the software without going out my way to do it, so this is probably something people will encounter. It's easy to sidestep but it does look pretty bad when it happens.

Off the top of my head the way to fix this would be to ensure the Flash embed has a wmode of 'opaque' ('transparent' causes performance drop), then it should obey z-index rules like everything. Something to consider for future versions in the name of polish. :smile:

It looks like it's not browser specific to me, as I just opened it up in Firefox and IE9 and the same issue was present. It's a fairly common problem I encounter in my job (which is building sites and applications like this), usually remedied with the fix I included in my above post. Indeed, I could easily fix this for my own installation but I figured I'd mention it here so the team can incorporate it into the official build. Essentially Flash embeds sit above everything by default and don't properly obey order of appearance rules, however adding an extra parameter to the embed (which has no negative side-effects to my knowledge) will fix this.

By sheer coincidence a community I frequent has just updated to IP.Board, and some other guy on the forum pointed exactly this same bug out to the admins within a day of the switch. I think that in itself shows the issue is likely being encountered quite widely, but as with most web apps little of that feedback makes it to the devs. :sad:

http://www.idlethumb...120#entry193066

Archived