Language default makes no sense

DesignzShop

I just recently found out you need to create a new language file to make changes to any language string. That's all good except for when you make that new language the default it doesn't force the change to previous users. This is not good. Let's give a example...

You have 10,000 members or more, maybe less, you need to make a change in the language string to let them know something new that could effect business. Instead, admin doesn't have time to change each member individually to the new language so they can see important new information or changes. How do you change that? IPB says run a query. I really do not see that as a good solution imo IPB. Not at all. Defaulting to a new language should override any users choice. As admin of the site it should be my choice without digging into a database, what users see. I pay for the software, not them.

And that's just one example btw why an admin may need to be able to force language string changes when needed to all users

Sometimes I miss things still being somewhat new to the software, so if I am missing something here, please let me know.

Thank You

I just recently found out you need to create a new language file to make changes to any language string. That's all good except for when you make that new language the default it doesn't force the change to previous users. This is not good. Let's give a example...

You have 10,000 members or more, maybe less, you need to make a change in the language string to let them know something new that could effect business. Instead, admin doesn't have time to change each member individually to the new language so they can see important new information or changes. How do you change that? IPB says run a query. I really do not see that as a good solution imo IPB. Not at all. Defaulting to a new language should override any users choice. As admin of the site it should be my choice without digging into a database, what users see. I pay for the software, not them.

And that's just one example btw why an admin may need to be able to force language string changes when needed to all users

Sometimes I miss things still being somewhat new to the software, so if I am missing something here, please let me know.

Thank You

They only lock it because people managed to break things spectacularly :P.
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/351179-change-page-text/#entry2195481 that can be unlocked, firstly.... you by no means have to create a whole new Lang pack to change verbiage.
However, I wholeheartedly agree on the OP point.

How are you attempting to force that specific group to use a specific language? That isn't possible by default in IP.Board.

Ryan Ashbrook

Me

Yes it can be forced..

Swap Member Language Choice

That doesn't apply to member groups at all. That only applies to if a certain member is using a certain language, then it will swap it for a different one.

Regards,

Ryan Ashbrook

Me

Beings there is no /selection/field for member choice that is pretty confusing..

Andy M

If you are referring to the fact that you cannot change the language for existing users, this is because their selection choice when they register is set as their default. It is assumed that if they visit your site and cannot read the language they would use the selector to choose one that they can. For this reason I see no value in a tool that would update all members language choices en-masse but as a courtesy the following database query should allow you to do that. Please be sure to backup before running in case of difficulties.

Now, this whole ticket was because I used the feature you are referring to bfarber and it does not force a switch. As you can also see in my support ticket others who recently have remarked over the same thing

Andy says this

For this reason I see no value in a tool that would update all members language choices en-masse

Don't even know what to say here. Seems closed minded considering the many needs to show current correct information to reflect your sites needs to end users. When Andy says "I" does that mean he and he only is the one deciding and seeing information like this or is shared with other developers? If there was a "team" instead of "I" this may get a different view point?

Can you provide me the ticket ID? There seems to be an awful lot of confusion here, so maybe I am missing something.

If a user has an individual language selection, the tool I showed in my screenshot swaps their language preference to whichever language you select. You cannot apply languages based on groups, so I'm not sure what that is in reference to. Like I said - send me the ticket ID if you would so I can figure out what I am missing here.

There is a lot of confusion in the ticket - I'm confused reading it myself. I shall summarize, however:

1) You cannot apply a default language on a per-group basis. The default language is site-wide.

2) Changing which language is the default does not apply to existing users.

3) You can update all existing users using the tool on the manage languages screen. This tool does not work per-member or per-group - it updates everyone (who is using the language pack you select).

4) You can edit members individually to specify which language pack those individual members should use.

Archived