Google News Badges idea

Michael R

Not sure if this is doable or not, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

I was reading about Google's new Google News Badges feature and it gave me an idea.

Would there be a way to suggest topics based on what a member has read or on personal settings? I could see a sidebar or portal feature where you could push recommended topics to the individual user.

I also think there should be a "related posts" section in each topic. For example for my blog I have a plugin that shows related posts and it doesn't rely on tags, it builds it's own database using the titles and the body text and it's surprisingly accurate.

• Management

That's the kind of feature you need serious server power for. It's unrealistic to write a holistic matching engine based on user's past posts and status updates in a forum system that has to run in a shared server environment.

That's the kind of feature you need serious server power for. It's unrealistic to write a holistic matching engine based on user's past posts and status updates in a forum system that has to run in a shared server environment.

I kind of figured that. There would have to be a lot of background processes going on to serve up suggestions.

Archived