3.2 - Forum Deletion

AlexWright

I've been wondering about this for quite some time, and it is a feature I would love to see. Running an RPG based bored, there are often times where I find myself needing to delete multiple forums at once, dumping all of their posts into a mutual recycling bin. Currently, there is no way to "Mass Delete" forums. Is it possible? Is it viable? I'd like to see this feature, but I'm not sure how many people would actually use it....

-Nowe

It doesn't seem really worth it, it takes like 2 seconds to delete a forum, so how much time would it actually save you to be able to delete many forums at once? It would just add to the "bloat" which IPS is trying to get rid of right now.

Oh my word. This is a very bad idea. Mass deleting forums? If this were ever implemented, I can imagine the unfortunate tendency if someone actually clicked to delete more than the forum or forums they wanted deleted. I prefer the "single" forum deletion ability because to modify it for multiple forum deletions would cause more problems for IPB Admins.

@rsyvarth: Because most of the forums have posts in them, so you have to designate where those posts are going to. Doing this for maybe 12 or 13 nested forums...you get the idea.

@kenichi: It'd be the same as mass deleting topics, would it not? Check boxes to determine which forums are being acted upon. I honestly don't see an issue with it.

Maybe instead of being able to "mass delete" forums, then after deleting a forum, if it was located as a subforum of another forum, being placed back into the subforums of that other forum. IE, I have the following setup:

-Important Info
-----Stuff 1
-----Stuff 2

I delete Stuff 2. I shouldn't be redirected back to forum home, as that's not where I was working, I should be redirected back into the subforum list of Important info.

Either way, I guess this could be considered "bloat", but the second option is a tad more functional and less "bloaty" then the one I proposed earlier.

I currently just have to open 12 tabs, and delete tier by tier (to be efficient, mind you).

Mass deleting topics is done through the forum side. Deleting forums is done through the ACP. This would be a very destructive tool because accidents happen and once you've "accidentally' deleted a forum, there's no way to get it back.

To be honest, I very rarely see the difference between forum side and ACP side (except that, of course, members are not given acp access).

Yes, while deleting forums is done in the ACP, the topics in the deleted forum(s) have to go somewhere (seeing as to how they don't simply "vanish"). You are given the option to move them. Granted, while you won't know which topics went where, they will still be there. To be honest, people should double check everything before clicking "go", kind of like double checking to make sure you're in Drive, not Reverse, when you want to go forward with a car. It requires a thought process to be fully completed.

Regardless, this is why I presented the second idea.

Edit: seeing as to how I got ninja posted.

I'm not exactly certain of how this could be hooked. I know very little php or the other necessities for hook making. It doesn't really matter to me *how* it's done, just that it can be accomplished (thus my "Is it possible? Is it viable?" questions).

Archived